2nd Gen W body seats in a 1st gen

Nas Escobar

So, I got to thinking, after a lot of late night surfing on the web... I know for a fact that the 2nd generation seat frames are different than the 1st, mostly in the fact that these seats slide into the floor in the front, and are bolted down in the back with 2 bolts, whereas the 1st gen uses 4 bolts all around, but the general size looks about the same, give or take... Would it be possible to swap a 2nd gen seat onto a 1st gen seat frame with no issues? I haven't been able to go to the junkyard to measure, but from view, the seats seem to keep their original size. The back seats seem different, but I would assume that's not a major biggie, as I'm more interested in the front seats.

Anyone has done this, or thought about it?

Skip the 2nd gen seats and try and find 3rd gen gp seats

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

This. My brothers GXP seats were comfy as ever, and the suede inserts looked cool too.

Skip the 2nd gen seats and try and find 3rd gen gp seats

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

My W is a coupe, so that's what keeps me in 2nd gen (specifically MC), unless there's a way I can make the top portion of the 3rd gen GP seat recline back.

My W is a coupe, so that's what keeps me in 2nd gen (specifically MC), unless there's a way I can make the top portion of the 3rd gen GP seat recline back.

The pass seat folds down, also the pass seat goes alot more forward then a stock 2nd gen seat, so its perfect for a coupe.304579_265866663529227_1029604214_n.jpg

I don't see why you feel any 2nd gen w-body seat will be an upgrade to the best of the 1st gen seats. The 2nd gen GP seats are absolute garbage when it comes to comfort and support (like sitting on cardboard), and the other cars are maybe AS good as the gen 1 seats at best. Gen 3 might be the only thing I'd consider an upgrade, but even then, I don't know if I'd consider them better enough to make it worth the trouble.

Only 2g seats that are direct swap are 95-99 MC seats (though i think thats considered gen 1.5) I have them in my 94 Cutlass

The only 2nd Gen seats that I've found comfort in are the Regal leather seats. But I wouldn't swap those in anything simply because they wouldn't look good :lol:

I don't see why you feel any 2nd gen w-body seat will be an upgrade to the best of the 1st gen seats. The 2nd gen GP seats are absolute garbage when it comes to comfort and support (like sitting on cardboard), and the other cars are maybe AS good as the gen 1 seats at best. Gen 3 might be the only thing I'd consider an upgrade, but even then, I don't know if I'd consider them better enough to make it worth the trouble.

I don't have the AQ9 seats. I have the normal seats with the narrow back. That's my main reason for swapping. I don't feel much of a back support compared to other cars I've sat in, which gets fatiguing on long drives. I know I'm not going to find AQ9s in the DC/Baltimore area, so why not do something else? Truthfully, I've thought of swapping Eldorado seats into it but I don't think the front ones are direct bolt ons, unless I can take the Eldorado foams and place em on my W brackets. I assume I can make the back ones fit... more or less.

• 1 month later...

The rear hole for the trackss on the seat itself almost lined up i just had to hog them out a bit then i drilled the holes in the front bolted them together and in the car i DID have to use some washers on the pass side to make it line up theres a pic n my album :)

how the hell did you get them in?

• 5 months later...