Front brake chirping

urbex

So, for the past couple months my front brake has been making a chirping noise while driving. It goes away when I apply the brakes, but comes back as soon as they are released. My first thought was the little metal clip on the back of the pad, since I had one break before and it did the same thing. Well, they both look fine. In fact, everything looks alright. Only thing, the top edge of each pad, about 1 millimeter thick isn't wearing, so it sticks out. That's the only thing I can see. I've tried sanding the pads down, but the noise continues. It looks like the top lip is coming back again, like it's still not wearing . Not sure if that is anything or not though. Rotors look smooth, and both pads and rotors have about 15k on them.

Any ideas? Now that it's nice out it's driving me crazy when I have the Windows down. The only other thing my dad thought is maybe if we have the rotors turned, but I don't know...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, the very outer edge of the rotor.

But yeah, all the clips and tabs are there and not rubbing, all bolts are tight, and it looks like they're tight on the caliper. I got some stuff to put on the back of the pads to try and reduce noise, so I'll try that next I guess....

I've had this all apart a few times but still can't see anything wrong...

Assuming all else is well, if you did not have this problem before installing THOSE pads I might pull them off and take a good look at them to see if the friction pads are/were not bonded to the backing plate in the precise location so they are sitting against the rotor with approx 1/32" of the outer rotor edge exposed.

Have the *tabs* on the ends of the pads worn a groove into the caliper bracket allowing them to move?

I didn't have this problem on these pads though until a few months ago, so for a long time they had been fine.

The only thing I did notice when reassembling them was the drivers side inside pad didn't feel very snug in the caliper.... We'll see if that disc brake quiet stuff I put on helps that though.

Nope, no luck. They're still chirping. I'm guessing it might be that one pad that doesn't want to really stay clipped into the caliper. Grrr.... Makes me mad since those pads have tons of life left in them, but that noise is going to drive me mad!

Edited by urbex

The *Budgie* living in your front brakes aside, I'm more concerned that one (or both sides) set of pads is not seated against the rotor face quite where they should be.

Oh, ok. I see what you're saying. Unfortunately I've already put it all back together, and it's way too hot outside to go back and tear it all apart today, lol. Maybe in a few days when it cools down a bit outside. It's supposed to be in the 90s and humid the next few days. My other alternative is just get some new pads. Rock Auto has some Centric ceramics for like $15 I see...

• 2 weeks later...

Alright.... I pulled everything apart tonight and put new pads on. I noticed the anti rattle clip was pretty bent on the one, so that may not have been helping. Well, I put it all back together, but the drivers side had a hell of a time lining up the caliper into the bracket. A tab on the pad was hitting the bracket. Well, got it jiggled into place and took it for a ride. After about two miles it started chirping, but this time even worse... Everything looked to be fine. The car doesn't pull even I brake, so I'm not thinking it's the caliper but I don't really know what to do next.

Try takeing the rim/tire off and threading on the lug nuts to hold the rotor in place and run it like you did,, without the tire/rim it will be easy to locate the sound,,

Edited by revnrob

Ugh, this is so aggravating. I took both rotors in and got them turned today. Everything seemed ok. Car drove fine. Then I bled the brakes since the fluid had been contaminated, got it all back together, now it chirps only when I lightly apply the brake. FFFUUUU!!!!

I put some disc brake quite on the pads, seemed alright. I'll know better tomorrow when I go to work.

Nope. No such luck. They stayed quiet yesterday, but now today they're just as loud as they were a couple weeks ago. I can't really think of anything else except maybe the caliper, although I don't know how or why...

I've turned the rotors, replaced the pads, and put anti rattle crap on the back of the pads, but nothing. I'm not sure if it's possible for the caliper or bracket to be bent or something making the pad not sit right? Both sides had about the same amount of wear on the pads, and the car doesn't pull to one side, so I don't really think it's sticking...but I have no clue....

It's one of those things, it's not really hurting anything, but it's SOOO annoying. You can hear it very loud outside of the car as I'm driving.

Calipers are only $30, but still.... I don't know what else could be making the noise, but if I replace the caliper and it's still there, I'd be pissed.

I'm very particular about my car, and to me, this is just one of those things that makes the car sound bad. lol

Edited by urbex

I just find it odd that the last set of pads were doing it too, and this set would happen to do it, on the exact same wheel... I guess I could switch the pads to the opposite side and see if the noise changes sides as well.

The only clips that it has are the ones that are attached to the back of the pads. I don't know why. None of the pads for this car have ever had them.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a '94 Olds 'vert last night and the previous owner had just put new rotors and pads up front and the pass side is doing this. Curious to hear what the solution is.

Greg

The car isn't being driven right now while it gets painted, but once it's up and running I'll update if I find what the problem is.