carrying a load with an older Lumina (1992, 190k)

Chris2012

They'll tell me extra weight doesn't put extra strain on a car. But I feel it, even an extra 75 lbs. Therefore ...

Car needs rear struts, at least, been dragging my feet. I'm apprehensive about taking a long trip (1300 miles) with 4-500 extra lbs. In the trunk mainly. Dead weight, cast iron.

FYI...I know most of us have violated this more than once, but the Owner's manual lists maximum load in the trunk as 167 pounds....

They'll tell me extra weight doesn't put extra strain on a car. But I feel it, even an extra 75 lbs. Therefore ...

Car needs rear struts, at least, been dragging my feet. I'm apprehensive about taking a long trip (1300 miles) with 4-500 extra lbs. In the trunk mainly. Dead weight, cast iron.

ha, 167.... that's basically a single empty 4T60. i've probably gone around 300-350, but distribution is important.... i folded the spare tire cover on accident.

If your struts are that bad be careful... the rear end will get awfully loose with that much weight in it. I just drove home ~200 miles with ~225 pounds of extra weight in the trunk of my LHS, which has completely wasted struts in back, and about 140 pounds of passenger sitting in the back seat. Let me tell you it was TERRIBLE driving home. Very bouncy, probably hard on the springs (or a worn monoleaf, for example). Cross winds also severely compromised straight line stability. Problems that were non-existent during the drive up.

Just forewarning. If anything, try and divide the weight between the back seat and the trunk, if possible. You can't close to a 50/50 divide between the rear axle. That will help immensely.

This is the other good thing about swapping to coilovers. The 275 or 300 lb/in springs typically used provide a lot more load carry capability. Would've been nice for me back in the day. I can remember moving a couple times where I fit everything absolutely everything I owned in my old Lumina.

FYI...I know most of us have violated this more than once, but the Owner's manual lists maximum load in the trunk as 167 pounds....

Holy cow, seriously? I regularly carry 500 pounds in the trunk of the 88.

feels like my ported dual 12 sub box weighs more than that... i can see the rear suspension sagging lower than the front. Why is the trunk so big if the weight limit is so small? Oh well, totally worth it. :lol:

First Guess: 167 pounds in the trunk...When you have five people in the passenger compartment.

(A look at the owner's manual should prove/disprove this, but I'm far too lazy to look.)

Edited by Schurkey

unless you're hauling around a side of beef, i imagine getting 167 lbs of groceries in the trunk would be quite difficult....

and based on how a lot of W-bodies were marketed, groceries would have been a design priority.

I've got my '95 manual handy...it doesn't give any conditions about the maximum weight in the trunk, just says 167 pounds, or 75 kg, for our Canadian brethren..

First Guess: 167 pounds in the trunk...When you have five people in the passenger compartment.

(A look at the owner's manual should prove/disprove this, but I'm far too lazy to look.)