redgrandprix

Im having problems with the tgp, I took it to get 2 tires put on andwhen I got it back it wouldn't start, finally got it started and its idling around 2k RPMs, the Speedo stopped working, transmission gauge stopped working and the vacuum is around 11 probably because its idling high,radiator fan turns on when I turn on the car even if its cold, transmission has a hard downshift when coming to a stop, the dealership thought maybe a vacuum leak but carb cleaner didn't show anything so that leaves me wondering if the battery in my emulator died and the car is no longer recieving the proper tune

I apologize for the long read but im trying to cover everything thanks

the ECM is most certainly in limp-home mode. seeing how you're running the emulator, dead battery is certainly a possibility. hope you have a backup.

by backup do you mean battery or what i think you mean as in a backup file for the tune? i replaced the batttery and that didn't help and after i turned the car off i noticed some liquid on the crossover being evaporated that i assume was shot from somewhere around the throttle body so im going to take the intake pipe off tomorrow and sea what it looks like since i have noticed the connector of the intake pipe and tb is oily or some sort of moisture on it and in the area.

oh yea, is it possibly to disable the obd1 port so that it can't be used? i tried hooking up a code reader and it kept saying it wasn't connected.

Edited by redgrandprix

backup file.

if the battery died, the NVRAM in the emulator lost it's contents... meaning it's blank. need a new calibration uploaded to it and that will probably fix all of your problems, except for "liquid on crossover".... that's not a calibration issue.

since you're in limp-home mode, you wouldn't be able to use a code reader anyways. when in limp-home, a lot of things don't work at all, especially communications.

awesome... ok well i took the intake pipe off and there is oil coming out from the tb, a decent amount so what is causing that issue? the intake pipe is clean but there is a small trail coming down from the tb into the little rubber connector where there is a small puddle of collected oil.

sounds like typical PCV collection... either you have a bad PCV valve, lots of blowby, or it's just never been cleaned before(since some buildup is normal). either way, making an air/oil seperator would trap the oil from being ingested, if the valve itself is the issue, obviously replace that.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so the tune is not the problem, i got ahold the the previous owner finally and he said that he has a topgun 160 chip in the car the the emulator wasn't really neaded? anyway that puts me back at square one so here is my checklist and help me if i forget a possiblity, im going to: check grounds, check speed sensor wires, replace pcv valve, clean iac, check vacuum lines, if this comes back without fixing the problem im going to :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

confirm which is connected inside the ECM(emulator or a modified MEMCAL). you ARE in limp-home mode, that is priority #1 to fix since it will hide some problems and create others.

they are both connected, there is a small circuit board looking piece the plugs in where a memcal would that is connected to the 28 pin wire that goes to the emulator and to a chip, it was a strange looking adapter but its all from moates, what can cause limp home mode besides if the tune was gone? i cleaned the iac, checked grounds, now my dads friend thinks maybe the alternator is going out but that doesn't sound right or the throttle position sensor, previous owner said something about the bolt or bulk head housing, which i guess is under the dash and firewall because apparently they have had problems there before with corrosion on some connector pins

Edited by redgrandprix

sounds like the emulator is in use but it runs on a topgun BIN. I would flash it with a copy of the topgun file then. but it can't run 36 lb injectors probably. mine didn't work on it I'm pretty sure.

you had 36 lb injectors if I am remembering right?

they are both connected, there is a small circuit board looking piece the plugs in where a memcal would that is connected to the 28 pin wire that goes to the emulator and to a chip, it was a strange looking adapter but its all from moates, what can cause limp home mode besides if the tune was gone? i cleaned the iac, checked grounds, now my dads friend thinks maybe the alternator is going out but that doesn't sound right or the throttle position sensor, previous owner said something about the bolt or bulk head housing, which i guess is under the dash and firewall because apparently they have had problems there before with corrosion on some connector pins

limp-home is only caused by a failure of the ECM to run through it's program. from the sounds of it, it's hooked up so that the MEMCAL is only used for it's limp-home and knock filter, which is normal. the emulator holds all of the code.

oh, I get it. the memcal is still hooked up to the thing for the limp mode portion, but the top gun file may or may not be the base tune..

who knows what was done to it before the tune was lost. I would have been able to see using the difference tool. I would have liked to... but hopefully somehow it will be recovered?? previous owner does not have a copy on his computer's HD?

what color are the injectors?

what color are the injectors?

heres the kicker... fully built motor with upgraded turbo and stock injectors, and the car ran great on them never ran lean even in wot, im not sure of the setup you are describing robert but i will ask him when he calls me back and flashing a topgun 160 bin through the emulator is not something i know how to do and i still don't have the software, however my sisters car had a topgun 160 in it when we got it so i might remove the emulator and such and just put that chip in and see what happens.

almost positive this is what it has or atleast looks exactly like it

http://www.moates.net/g1-memory-adapter-tpi-etc-p-32.html?cPath=64

well apparentley the situation was when he gave or sold the car to his bro-in law there was a bag with a chip burner and all the stuff needed to tune the car yourself, somewhere between in the in law and me the bag disappeared so he was going to see if his bro in law still had it and he said he is going to find the papers for the work done to the car and he said he has another cam for the car that didn't run as well but sounded more like a v8 in his opinion so probably a more aggressive cam.

Edited by redgrandprix

• 2 weeks later...

FIXED!:burnout:

swapped out emulator and such with plain old topgun 160 chip i had and its back to running like it used to although its pulling mid 9's on the a/f gauge on wot