Steering wheel controls to aftermarket radio

crunkGP96

Hey guys,

I am going to install an alpine iva d 310 in my 95 gtp but I was wondering what method have you all used to retain steering wheel controls. I'm not sure a universal steering wheel control adapter will work since the car is older. I've had this radio for a long time uninstalled and I think its about time I install it but I'd really like to keep the steering wheel controls since they still work. Ive seen on the 97 & up gp where they somehow tapped the wires with an aftermarket radio to retain the steering wheel controls. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2

Do you have a remote for the stereo? If so, get THIS

I have one for my oddball aftermarket dvd head unit, works great. You need a remote to program it, because it basically uses your buttons as if it were a universal remote that learns from the stereo remote.

Do you have a remote for the stereo? If so, get THIS

I have one for my oddball aftermarket dvd head unit, works great. You need a remote to program it, because it basically uses your buttons as if it were a universal remote that learns from the stereo remote.

Yes I do, I know I should just use the remote but i really like keeping everything like factory. Thanks for the link! looks like that might work for me

• 4 weeks later...

You can also pick up a steering wheel control kit from most car audio places which will allow you to keep your steering wheel controls. I forget where I've seen them though other than Best Buy but I don't think Best Buy carries car audio stuff anymore. Not around here, at least.

Also, Crutchfields carries them... http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ax34aXESnkl/g_118900/Steering-Wheel-Audio-Control-Adapters.html

• 1 month later...

This is what I use in my 93 GTP: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=207&CategoryID=29

Your Alpine must have a "remote in" jack. There is a wire from your steering wheel controls that will connect to this adapter. The adapter has a headphone jack that plugs into the "remote in" on your stereo. If your Alpine does not have a remote in jack, then you can use the infared version of the adapter: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=212&CategoryID=29

I used to have the infared version before I got my new head unit. I found if sunlight was shining on the small IR blaster that is comes with, the deck would not be able to see the infared signal, so I switched to a deck that had a wired remote input.