How to remove the black '99-03 Impala bumper trim?

Senor PuffPuff

Well, since my rear bumper is a replacement which looks like it wasn't primed, clear-coated, it looks like maybe 1 coating of paint, and the trim is faded to almost white (not sure how that happens), I'm just going to repaint the whole damn thing. My question is, on the front and back bumper how do you remove the trim?

I know on the sides it's just glued on, but the back also looks like it has some sort of clips right at the ends by the wheel wells. Here's a link to JC Whitney where you can see what I'm talking about. Does anyone know if these things have clips? Or is it just like the sides where they're just glued on?

I've been searching all over google but all I can find out is how to remove the side trim, and how to paint the trim on the back without removing it from the car. I'd rather just remove it so I can paint it properly otherwise I'm gonna get peeling paint in the edges where the trim meets the bumper cover.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking into all of this as well when I had my 01 Impala. You're right in that it's most likely clipped onto the bumper covers from the inside. I was personally planning on just sanding it and painting it while it was on the bumper still... I don't think you'd have any problem with that because of the amount of clearance between the two. They're not so close that the paint would overlap and harden.

(Hopefully that makes some sort of sense)

Actually, I was looking at my car yesterday and it seems like the rear trim on my car is either molded into the bumper itself or it's been painted so badly that it just looks that way. Either way, I'm just going to remove the entire back bumper when I do it because I forgot about the 6 12" long scratches that the used car dealer did when he pulled the car out for me to look at before I bought it lol.

I think the side and front bumper are just glued on, with little pegs into the door to line it up so I'm going to use a heat gun and just pull the trim off the front and sides and paint those separately.

My car was in a rear-ender at some point before I owned it, so that's why my rear bumper is strange. It's also why the rear windshield weather stripping is sticking out where it meets the rear quarter panels and trunk lol...

Maybe I should have gotten a CarFax :confused: