Need some help with top latches

94cuttydrop

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with closing the top on my 94. Driver side latches shut fine. Passenger side is a different story. The latch of the top doesn't seem to want to grip the frame. If i hold it just right it will close, but from the outside there is a little play between the windshield frame and the top is a push down, and from the inside, if I grab the latch, it is loose enough that I can wiggle it with my finger and the top pops up. Is there an adjustment for this, or is the latch shot? it doesn't seem to have any more or less play than the driver side. I noticed that the J-hook latch is threaded...can I just turn it in?

The J hooks are adjustable, all you have to do is take off the T15 screw that holds it in and twist towards the direction you want it.

Before you do anything though, compare the hook with the one on your driver's side. I had the same issue as you, except my top actually popped off. It turned out my J hook had actually bent out of shape and turned straight instead of being in a J like formation. I had to replace mine, but you can also twist it outwards to get it to latch. It's an art. You really have to play with it until it latches good.

Thanks for the info, I actually already did this the other night and forgot to report back haha. The hooks both had the same shape, I brought it in 2 turns and now it closes great. You weren't kidding about it being an art though!