A DRL delete solution for 1999-2003 Impala and Monte owners! (sort of)

Senor PuffPuff

Alright, so ever since I got my HID's in, I've been trying to figure out how to get the DRL's to stay off. I was really excited when I heard about BBEngineer's DRL/ALC bypass harness, but unfortunately he no longer sells them and he hasn't been responding to my e-mails.

So, I've been looking all over the place for another solution. I tried pulling the DRL relay from the fuse box under the hood and bending over pin 87, with absolutely no effect. Interestingly enough, I was able to find a solution posted up on another w-body website (not sure if I'm allowed to post links so I'm just going to reiterate what I found out there...)Anyways, what I found on this other website was a solution for 04/05 monte's and although it works on 99-03 Impala and Montes, it works differently.

What you need to do is to remove both of the under-hood fuse blocks from their cradle. There is 3 clips on each block which hold it in, and you MUST take them both off at the same time because they're connected. So once you get them out, you'll see a small grey clip on the side of each fuse block. What you need to do is pull this clip out CAREFULLY. You don't need it pulled out all the way. Once you have that pulled out, you can now pull out the light green wire with a black stripe from where it connects to the back of the DRL relay. Be careful when you pull it out because you might rip the spade connector off the end. Once you have this green/black wire pulled out, tape it off and put the grey wire retainer clip back in. Push both fuse blocks back into place, and voila! You're done.

NOW - The problem with this method on 99-03 Monte's and Impala's is that this WILL activate the "service vehicle soon" light which some people might find more annoying than having the DRL's in the first place. 04-05 models don't have this issue. I have also heard that it will turn on all the headlights since the DRL's aren't working, but I didn't have that problem. My DRL's are the only thing which were affected. From what I understand, this will also not affect the automatic head light system from working at night but I could be wrong because as I only did this mod yesterday, I haven't driven in the dark yet. If you want the link to the other forum where I found the original instructions, PM me and I'll give it to you.

If I encounter any other issues, I will let you know. Also, if anyone can PM me and tell me where I can get a DRL bypass harness, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do! I would appreciate it more than you could know.