TGP Code 41

jeffreyeffrey

I haven't driven my TGP much the last few months because of winter, but the mileage was way down last fall (circa 15 mpg). This spring when I got it out the engine light came on so I did the paper clip trick to it and got a code 41. That was the only code. The code list I have says it's a Ignition Control Module issue. From the seat it seams to run smooth. How could a smooth running ICM cause such lousy MPG?

BTW- Everything is stock on my car.

Thanks

41 isn't ICM... either your MEMCAL or ECM is junk.

41 gets set when the incorrect cylinder select values are detected on the NETRES portion of the MEMCAL. it's only ever used if the ECM goes into limp-home mode though, so that shouldn't be causing your bad fuel economy.

Sorry, it's not a code 41. I stopped by a friend's last night and plugged his Genesys into it. I was wrong it is actually a code 42. Everything seemed to be registering appropriatly, it goes into closed loop. The only parameters that registered "0" were BLM cell, Canister Purge D/C, and EGR solinoid 1,2,3. Are these typically 0? the Genesys says "42-Electronic Spark Timing Error". Any ideas on how to resolve this?

at an idle(as evidenced by CLM cell of 0), no CCP or EGR is normal. and being a TGP, you don't actually have 3 EGR solenoids, you have the EVRV EGR. sounds like the datastream for a N/A 3.1 was being used?

in any case, code 42:

http://imgur.com/iUVsby7,0A6GDYQ

you're getting crap fuel economy due to running on ~10* of advance that happens when in ICM mode.

you can replace the ICM, coils, crank sensor, ECM, and scan it with that thing all you want, but unless you can see the voltage dips in your data stream, and compare with the rpm, IAC steps. and see the fan kick on and throw that code, you will never have a grasp on how to fix it.