Fuel cleaner/additives what have you tried?

LUMINATOR

I've ran sea foam and chemtool b-12 fuel cleaner, basically both the same stuff but b-12 is a lot cheaper. Has anyone else had good luck with any another fuel additives that clean out the fuel/injector system?

i've been running a small experiment for the last couple months... 1 oz of TC-W3 2 stroke oil per every 5 gallons of gasoline... it has had a positive result on all of the injectors it's been run through for at least a couple of tanks. idle stability alone, it's been worth the trouble and small cost(can get a 16oz bottle for ~$3.50, larger bottles have a better cost ratio too).

it seems to be a great upper cylinder and injector/pump lubricant.

petroleum distillates such as Toluene and Xylene along with an ounce or two of atf is what I used to add. but I am from the day of clear gas. now if you are running today's meth gas it probably is necessary.

no, I just run pure gas now every tank on every vehicle. Now that I found a station near my house that sells clear 92.

they have 100 octane you can buy there, now if you want an additive....

Chevron techron. Works great for me.

Techron is the number-one additive. Chevron makes the Genuine GM/AC-Delco fuel additive.

I've used ethanol-blended gasoline (E-10, or "Gasohol") as my fuel-of-choice for thirty years. I have had exactly Z-E-R-O problems I could blame on the ethanol, in carbureted cars and motorcycles, TBI-injected pickup truck, and port-injected cars and SUV. I've run it in my lawnmower and snow blower. Crying about ethanol-blended gasoline as a cause of problems doesn't get much sympathy from me, I have thirty years of direct experience showing exactly the opposite. The single real problem with the stuff has more to do with criminally-negligent gas station owners who allow their in-ground fuel tanks to leak and contaminate the fuel, then the water-laden fuel is pumped out of the underground tank into the vehicle gas tank. That's not the fault of the ethanol, that's the fault of the guy who owns the leaking underground tanks.

Ethanol-blended fuel is TERRIBLE farm policy, ecological policy, food policy, and economic policy. Turning food into fuel is insane. This is Government interference in the free market. But the resulting fuel is perfectly adequate for the majority of the population.

its good for a majority of wealthy people that have new cars. hurts poor people with older cars though. and spoils and gets worse gas mileage. I guess I need to stop crying and just be rich.

That has been my choice of fuel system cleaners for some time. Very safe, but powerful.. I did get one tank of very wet fuel, (HEET fixes that), but Techron once or twice an oil change seems to do great.

(I do think some of the cheapo cleaners can damage the injectors, so watch out for those)

Same here - I've used it in all my cars. In my 95 Olds, it took care of some sluggish starts I was having for a while & spruced up the cold idle.

It's pricey, but I've noticed that AutoZone or O'Reillys will frequently have a by one-get one offer. Then I just stock up.

Haha I have to agree with you there on the Ethanol-blend fuel! My dad has a Ford Ranger with the 3.0 v6 Flex Fuel in it and when you put that e-85 shit in it :lol: the mpg's go way down! 20 mpg to 15, waist of time and energy.

I bought some of this stuff when O'Reillys was having the buy one get one free! I've only used once so fare, so I guess I can't say much about it. But it did increase my mpg's :dance: If only it would stay like that haha!

Has anyone of you guys used Marvel Mystery Oil before in your fuel system?

I don't know about SeaFoam's validity as a fuel additive but directly feeding it through the vacuum lines has proven itself time and time again to be very beneficial. It even fixed a weird issue with a car not wanting to stay running unless the gas pedal was held down a little.

I have been wondering about some of these homebrew methods like mixing in small amounts of acetone, ATF, diesel fuel, etc. Someone a while back posted a link somewhere on this forum to a site detailing homebrew SeaFoam by the gallon for next to nothing.

Here's a rather interesting discussion...it talks about a lot of the things mentioned

http://www.dieselbombers.com/alternative-fuels-additives-fluids/37780-homebrew-seafoam.html

EDIT: HERE'S THAT LINK! http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/index.html

Edited by virtuetovice

while fuel is necessary for a car to run, so is voltage. so credit can't be given to an additive when the alternator did the work.

what's wrong with removing the injectors and flow testing them and triple cleaning them at Witchhunter once every few years instead of relying on a fuel corporation brand name thing?

I like Lucas, but I'll also use Seafoam, and Techron frequently. No idea if any of them work, or if one is better than another, but my engine is sure clean... :lol:

I've always heard different things... Some people say that premium fuel has more additives and is better, while other people say that every octane has the same additives in it...yet that article says they may have higher additives.

Although I do, and have for a few years, try to buy Shell gasoline almost exclusively...

I've never had a problem with the Citgo next to my house. Or the Shop 'n Save Express, which I think is supplied by Sunoco.

I've always heard different things... Some people say that premium fuel has more additives and is better, while other people say that every octane has the same additives in it...yet that article says they may have higher additives.

Although I do, and have for a few years, try to buy Shell gasoline almost exclusively...

"Premium" fuel may or may not have more than the minimum amount of detergent additives. That's the point of the link I posted: some fuel has higher octane, some fuel has higher detergent, and some fuel may have both.

Don't mistake octane rating for detergent additives.