New to the Gran Prix

Mags

So I guess I am not completely new. I am almost 35 and I am getting the very same 89 turbo I wrecked when I was 16 from my dad. It was his car when I turned in front of some one on a dark night. He was not real happy. It got fixed though and he drove it for a couple more years before it developed a brake problem. For whatever reason he couldn't find parts for it and parked it in a barn where it has sat since. It does not look pretty right now but I can clean it up. I will go pick it up in a couple weeks. Since I know these cars brake systems are a pain to find can anyone point me in the right direction for fixing this? I am hoping that is all the work I really have to do mechanically. He had the engine completely rebuilt right before the brake thing happened. It actually did not need the overhaul as he found out later it was just a bad injector. So that sucks but good for me the engine should only have about 4k on it since the rebuild. Please let me know if anyone can help with the brake issue. Thanks

Start with changing the brake pressure sensor and then the pump motor relay. Neither are available from a parts store, you'll have to source them on here or in a junk yard. Though the cars in the junk yard are likely there for the same reason. If the car is in good shape otherwise, you might consider swapping to the vacuum brakes, but it is quite a project

Find out what exactly it is doing before throwing money at it. Unfortunately the only part to it in any reasonable supply are replacement accumulators. the switches and relays are long discontinued.

It shipped instantly when I bought it (was $15 cheaper then, too). I think it depends on whether it's sold through Amazon.com or a Marketplace seller, and whether it's in stock or not. Right now it's in stock from Amazon.com as the seller.

• 2 weeks later...
Found it on the Interwebs. http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?partnumber=34331162054

Pretty cool, didn't realize one off a BMW would work. Do you have to use some kind of strap to install it?

I've been meaning to search for information on the older BMW setups to try to determine what the pre-charge pressure is on them. If it's anywhere near ours they should be fine and appear to currently be the cheapest option.

@ Twalt: How many brake pedal presses are you getting out of that unit? Any pre-charge information on the body of it?