KarenL2888

so.....to repair two rusted from the inside back fenders with sheet metal, (pesky foam packing original factory thought was a great idea), smooth out bunches of dings and imperfections, fix the unprimed mess around the windshield, replace a trunk hinge, fix a windshield gasket, remove a few small rust spots along the trunk, prime and paint the whole body, replace the window gaskets, adjust the roof forward a bit........this shop specializes in classic vehicles......whats a fair cost? I cannot do anything myself except supply the trunk hinge. They promise she will be showroom original Sebring Silver. I think they are being pretty fair with me but I wanted some opinions? I have two quotes and I know the first one is too low. I dont want a hack job. This is a 91 with 107,000 miles that just passed PA inspection with flying colors. I know she will be worth more to me than to the open market so I am not worried about recouping repair costs. Ideas?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarenL2888

• 94 olds vert

• Leadfoot

• j_mezz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good luck! They tend to find things as they go along too. I just had my '88 done, they had to do the inner and outer rocker panels. To be safe take a bunch of pictures before it goes in for reference later...

Oh, and you should post a before picture here!

Can't wait to see new paint on your cutlass! It will look really good! I just had mine repainted 2 years ago now. And I had a little rust fixed on my quarter panels as well. Also had quite a lot of other dents and dings fixed up and down the body. For my car with all the discounts we got it cost very close to 5,000, but it would have easily been 8-10 if i did not know somebody in the body shop.

This is the one I bought in 93 , owned 10 years, sold for 10 years and bought her back from the guy I sold her to. She was pristine when I had her the first time. Looking forward to that again. Thanks guys!

I haven't really seen too many of the early ones either. I kind of like the looks of them just for that reason. anybody else here even have a 91? Is that the last year of this style?

The shop thats tearing down my vert had a car show today so I went by to visit my baby. The guy wants to know if I want her silver. Red or black would be awesome he says. I cant bring myself to change the original color. Im sticking with silver.

Black might look good as well with the red interior, but a color change is a ton more work to do right. Odss are it would cost drastically more or be done wrong. I think it looks really good in silver and would leave it that way.

I'd keep it silver myself!

Where are you getting the work done at? I have a few cars I'd love to get painted one of these days.

I'm with leadfoot, changing the color will drive the cost up significantly due to having to do the door jambs, trunk, and engine compartment. The silver w/ red looks really good and it's not very common, I'd stick with it!

Johns Auto Body on Rt 286 in Plum. He tears them down to the frame. He usually does older cars than mine. Very particular about things and therefore pricey. Im only ever going to paint her once so Im going for restore. What part of the Burgh are you in?

Karen

• 2 weeks later...