is this bad?

redgrandprix

i checked my front 3 sparkplugs and i feel that that is a decent amount of oil on them, the last one looks a little burnt, they around 9 months old, so now i'm thinking change every 6 months and what the best plugs to use are, these are accel u groovespost-7297-143689126832_thumb.jpg

post-7297-143689126803_thumb.jpg

post-7297-143689126816_thumb.jpg

post-7297-143689126818_thumb.jpg

post-7297-14368912682_thumb.jpg

post-7297-143689126849_thumb.jpg

Edited by redgrandprix

Looks like they are started to get deposits on them. Are you using any additives or just 93 octane fuel?

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

that last one came from the cylinder closest to the driver's side?

yes the last plug came from the side closest to the turbo or driver's side

no additives in the fuel but i did put lucas oil treatment stuff in the oil and i run 91 octane, only other option around here is 92 octane or 92 octane with no ethanol (no ethanol burns quicker i think)

cylinders 5 and 6 usually will look the worst... it's just how all 60V6s are.

anyways, looks like ash buildup, not the greatest thing to see on a plug, but it isn't too bad. you're either sucking up a lot of oil(perhaps through the PCV) or your fuel is a problem.

my 98 3100, does that crusty stuff on the plugs to.

but i dont dive that much (500 miles a mth)

i run autolite platnums ap606. wally mart sells em cheap.

they seem to last for me. 189760k lumina

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on this but... Stay away form Bosch, Platinum, Iridium, anything that runs hotter etc. Basically, get some standard run of the mill AC Delco plugs meant for your engine. That's what countless GM mechanics told me, and of course being a teenager I knew better than them. That was up until my Bosch Platinum's fowled out after <1 year and my car started running like shit. Possibly unrelated but seems like my lifter tick has been louder ever since I had those plugs in...

Don't forget to set the gap on your plugs...

ACDelco makes good platinum and iridium plugs for the 60V6... i wouldn't hesistate to run them on a vehicle that doesn't have issues that would shorten their ~100K mile life.

I bought bosch platinums to test them out but took them out after about 700 miles, and then put in NGK vpower plugs which is a copper plug. It seems to run better with these btw.

what do you mean by hate?

Random misfires at idle across all cylinders. Stopped when I put regular Delco plats back in it. This was a GAGT though

• 2 weeks later...

well i got them all changed out over the weekend and they were all greyish whitish but for some reason one of the back 3 plugs was red on the part around the electrode. what would cause this?

picture?

description alone won't work for plugs, they're very particular about certain things, but if i had to guess, i'd say it was a fuel additive.