Steering Wheel interchangablity

KAlsteen

I pulled out my steering wheel radio controls to fix the lights on them and now they won't go all the way back in. So since I have to pull the steering wheel off to fix the cruise control wires I was thinking about just buying a different steering wheel so my buttons aren't popping out and annoying me. So that got me wondering if either of these other steering wheels work in my car and retain the radio controls and air bag functionality?

Current Steering Wheel

post-8203-143689125942_thumb.jpg

Steering Wheel 1

post-8203-143689125952_thumb.jpg

Steering Wheel 2

post-8203-143689125958_thumb.jpg

I know that steering wheel # 2 will keep the radio control functions. # 3 probably will too but I'm not sure. Some on clubgp have said the 01+ steering wheels have different splines. I would grab the whole column just to be safe.

Neither the 2nd gen W GP column nor the 3rd gen W GP column will fit. I'm sure the wheel from the 2nd gen will fit the 1st gen.

But that isn't the same wheel. Your wheel should look like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5UEG-Ngcgo9bTYeypzF49gKFO1Pk42mhNE3zWwwVwoAewALTH

At the very least you will want to grab buttons from a 2000 GP. They don't peal and they are LEDs so they don't burn out. You will need to break off a small clip to fit them in though.

The wheels may fit over the splined shaft of the steering wheel, but even if they do, I'd be more concerned about the air bags. Over the years, GM changed the amount of voltage discharged by the DERMs (or equivalent) and required by the air bag for deployment to occur. The wiring connectors may not even interchange across generations.

My 96 GP has a 97 GP steering wheel and airbag, that is the way to go. Only 97 will interswap with 94-96 as it is fully compatible. 98+ airbags are two stage and are a no go.

the first pic is actually of the 97-99 style airbag, and though they appear the same, they are different between 97 and 98-99.

Am I the only weirdo who vastly prefers the looks of the 94-96 wheel? I just like the design better, especially having the Pontiac arrow head instead of the word Pontiac.

Am I the only weirdo who vastly prefers the looks of the 94-96 wheel? I just like the design better, especially having the Pontiac arrow head instead of the word Pontiac.

I prefer the cleaner/sleeker air bag containment of the newer style steering wheels, though I'd prefer no air bag at all and a steering wheel cluttered with radio controls if I had my choice. :P I like the '01 - '03 design (2nd pic) the most out of all the air bag equipped GP wheels. Keep forgetting to look into whether or not you can put the Bonneville GXP wheel on the GP.