2001 Impala with engine knock

pt80chip

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2001 Chevy impala (3.8L) with 56k miles and the seller of the car told me the engine has knocking and I probably wont be able to drive it home. I'm going to do my own diagnosis in the coming days however I have to assume that in the worst case scenario I will need to change the engine.

My question is, should I buy a salvaged engine and pay someone to install it knowing that if the engine is bad I will not recover the fees payed to the mechanic?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

First question is to verify the knocking. With 56k miles it maybe be possible. My '00 Grand Prix GT spun a bearing with 63k from the LIM gasket leaking coolant. Are you able to swap motors yourself?

The motors are plentiful in junkyards and stuff.

First question is to verify the knocking. With 56k miles it maybe be possible. My '00 Grand Prix GT spun a bearing with 63k from the LIM gasket leaking coolant. Are you able to swap motors yourself?

The motors are plentiful in junkyards and stuff.

I just went to see the car. Originally I thought it would be a pre ignition type of knock but it sounds like the engine in the following video. You can fast forward to 48 seconds into the video. It is not my video btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbzmqQDt2Qs

Any ideas?