'89 digital UB3 testing info needed.

Reride

depends on how much you want to test.

with i think 3 wires, you can do the boot-up procedure, a lot more for most of the indicators.

to test the tach and redline functions, you would need to simulate the datastream from the ECM, that's the only real complicated portion. the MPH portion can be verified by just tapping the VSS wire to a ground wire quickly(a couple of times a second will show ~5MPH).

Thanks Nate and Robert:thumbsup:, I checked out the thread you sent & got pin-outs but your you-tube video would not play:shrug:...will try again later. Steve

After comparing the pin-outs from the link you provided (for 1990 model) & they are the same w/one exception, mine doesn't have the GRY/WHT wire in C5. So the '89 car my cluster came out of must not have had ABS & will need to be added for my '92. Since I'm in my mid-sixties & my fingers aren't as flexible as they once were I will go with an adapter to connect to the harness, though repining would be a lot cleaner install. Now on to the actual testing. I will post results later. P.S. Nate, the you-tube video works now, Thanks.

Edited by Reride

I just finished testing my digi UB3. All seems to work. I tried tapping the orange VSS wire (C13) to ground as Robert suggested & got it to read 2 mph, but no tach reading. I tried it a second time & got nothing, hope I didn't screw something up! The oil pressure & fuel gauges were pegged ( I assume because of no sender signal.) The temp gauge increased when power was applied and volt meter increased when more amperage was applied. Turn signals, high beam light, E/M, trip & reset bottoms, & all idiot lights worked.

The tach (and redline bar) gets its input from ALDL serial data, so the only way to test that is to connect the ALDL wire to an ECM or something that simulates an ECM.

Chances are, since everything else works, the tach is most likely fine.

I know that I need to replace the senders for oil pressure & Temp will I need to add any wiring for them to work on the cluster? Also, do I need to buy senders for a '89 or '92 car.