Power Steering Pulley installation?

J.r. Patton

have a 95 cutlass supreme 3.4 DOHC. The power steering pulley has broke off the pump. How difficult is to replace with a new one? Pulley its self is what broke. The center failed. Whats needed to do this and the step?

I believe the pump is the same as used on 3.1, 3100, 3400, 3.4... with a different reservoir. go to j/y and get a pump with a good pulley, try and swap the reservoir.

Get another pulley and/or pump an pulley:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=95+cutlass+supreme+power+steering

You'll need a power steering pulley installer/remover:

Installation/removal videos:

Tools:

41JhxmA4sNL._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-7874-Pulley-Installer/dp/B00061SGTK/

Astro Pneumatic 7874 Pulley Puller and Installer Kit

Price: $22.55

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools-Garage-and-Equipment/Power-Steering-Pulley-Puller-Installer/_/N-264z

OEM/Pulley puller installer kit

Part Number: 27031

Alternate Part Number: AZ40000

http://www.harborfreight.com/pulley-remover-and-installer-set-40749.html

Pulley Remover and Installer Set

U.S. General - item#40749

Remove and install a new pump pulley to renew the life of your power steering

$19.99

Good Luck!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12195[/ATTACH]

I do believe getting whats left on the pump off maybe pose a bit of a hassle .

Makes me wonder what the screwup was the previous time the pulley was installed. (i.e., installed with a hammer???)

Automatic belt tension, can't have failed from belt stress.

I'd say that's an unusual failure. Inspect EVERYTHING when you repair it.

I have had one break before...the pulley itself is some sort of plastic. I remember it being a big pain to pull that little piece off, because it deformed when I used the tool on it, and the "ear" the puller grabs broke off. I ultimately ended up using a dremel with a cutoff wheel, and cutting a slot in the ring, then took a flat-bladed screwdriver to spread the gap I made, to get it off the shaft. Unfortunately, that meant I put a groove in the shaft where the cutoff wheel cut through, but the new pulley went on without any issues, and I've had no further trouble.

Easy enough to pull the pump if you need more room, 3 bolts...on the LQ1, you sort of have to "rotate" the pump out, rolling the top of the pump toward the front of the car.

I ultimately ended up using a dremel with a cutoff wheel, and cutting a slot in the ring, then took a flat-bladed screwdriver to spread the gap I made, to get it off the shaft. Unfortunately, that meant I put a groove in the shaft where the cutoff wheel cut through

Grind MOST of the way through the hub, then crack the remainder with a hammer and chisel.

Best to support the other side of the hub, so you don't damage the pump shaft and bearings with the hammer impact(s).

A much better method..unfortunately, all I had access to at the time was the Dremel. :(

Grind MOST of the way through the hub, then crack the remainder with a hammer and chisel.

Best to support the other side of the hub, so you don't damage the pump shaft and bearings with the hammer impact(s).

I had this exact same thing happen around 7 years ago. I just used the pulley install/remove tool and pressed pulled the old off pressed the new one on.