Uneven brake wear

GaPrix

So my front inner pads have both worn at nearly 100% the rate of the outer front pads? I noticed my car was starting to stutter stop occasionally so I pulled everything off for a look and the inside of the front rotors are pretty nasty, the slotted wear design is 75% gone indicating their done for. The outside of the rotors and outer pads are fine lots of life left. What could cause this?

Have you already pulled off the calipers? Do they move freely back and forth like they should?

Check for corrosion in the bores of the caliper bracket side of the slides. Was there still a lot of grease on the slides after removing the calipers?

Have you already pulled off the calipers? Do they move freely back and forth like they should?

Check for corrosion in the bores of the caliper bracket side of the slides. Was there still a lot of grease on the slides after removing the calipers?

They appear to move normally, there was a thin coating of grease left.

And I got the wrong rotors, these are 286mm, should have been 267mm. I didnt see that at first, They are listed as both for our vehicles (front), so i'm guessing theres a caliper bracket that can be used?

Edit - I figured it out, 95/96's had 286mm, thankfully I happen to have the 96 assemblys, which will go on the car over summer. I guess I didnt really waste money on the larger rotors.

Edited by GaPrix

Changed out the rotors with some autozone blanks, heres the strange thing. The pads were okay overall, one pad was more worn than the others but they were still good. The rotors however were extremely worn on the inside only, I'm somewhat confused by this.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest that you pull apart the fronts assembly and look inside the brackets to see if the bushings are corroded to the point where the support bolts for the calipers can no longer move back & forth in them.

The calipers themselves don't slide on the bolts, the bolts slide inside the bushings, which are in the bracket. While you've got everything apart also check each of the pistons to see if they are free in their bores.

• 1 month later...

A mechanic explained to me one time that he has seen some hoses that have a portion come apart inside the hose allowing fluid to flow in one direction down to the claliper only. As the rubber ages and becomes brittle, the internal piece with only one end attached now serves as a one-way valve of sorts. This would cause some fluid pressure to remain in the line from that point to the caliper and cause uneven,excessive wear on the inside of the rotor. I personally have not cut open any old rubber lines to verify.

Alright so one of my rears apparently got stuck too, I put new brakes/rotors on the rear last year...I know I greased them good, time for all new calipers? Ridiculously annoying.