Ignition Cylinder replacement/VATS KEY issue

Nas Escobar

Well, I'm between a rock and a hard place... other than finding myself with some random issues on this car, this is one that has me at a standstill.

So I usually like to have a set of spare keys for my car should I need them. The only problem is that the p.o. sold me this car with one set of keys. I want to have a copy made for my 94 Cutlass, but being the fact that it has the chip in the key, it turns out that I can't just get a generic key done. Looking online, it seems I can't get a blank key for less than $10.

Now my question is; how do you go about changing the lock cylinder with a VATS key? I assume it's not a simple plug and play, but do I have to match the ignition cylinder to the voltage that the current key produces?

I have a feeling that I'm better off just paying the $10.

Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

I will get called crazy for this but I just had my ignition cylinder replaced at the dealer because the contacts for the chip weren't connecting half the time, so I had all the lights but no start. I was going to tackle it myself but the Haynes manual says something about needing special tools for the tilt wheel. It was about $310 for parts and labor but so far my starting issues are history. :roll: