What is the difference between a failed UIM and LIM?

dodgethis

I just happen to pop the hood on the lumina when I had got home, and i noticed my radiator fluid was not at the Hot mark in the reservoir. I also saw that the fluid was not green as it should have been. I had the radiator fluid changed around 80,000 miles ago, and I am right now 147,000 miles. I don't notice any over heating but just has me concerned if this may be why im low on fluid (leaking) due to either my LIM's are going out since i had the LIM's replaced around 54,000 miles ago. I do know that when I had the intake manifold gaskets replaced, they were the permadries. I took a picture of what the fluid looks like which is below. What do you think, should i just flush the fluid and see if it drops and or change color or is this a definite symptom?

Engine: 3100 SFI, 98 lumina

Radfluid.jpg

Edited by dodgethis

I just happen to pop the hood on the lumina when I had got home, and i noticed my radiator fluid was not at the Hot mark in the reservoir. I also saw that the fluid was not green as it should have been. I had the radiator fluid changed around 80,000 miles ago, and I am right now 147,000 miles. I don't notice any over heating but just has me concerned if this may be why im low on fluid (leaking) due to either my LIM's are going out since i had the LIM's replaced around 54,000 miles ago. I do know that when I had the intake manifold gaskets replaced, they were the permadries. I took a picture of what the fluid looks like which is below. What do you think, should i just flush the fluid and see if it drops and or change color or is this a definite symptom?

Engine: 3100 SFI, 98 lumina

Radfluid.jpg

The "extended life" coolant is advertised to be good for ~50,000 miles. The regular stuff is advertised to be good for ~24,000 miles.

You're way overdue for a flush 'n' fill. Even so, it shouldn't be rusty brown. I'd be concerned about rusted radiator or water jacket of the engine.

Pressure test the system first to see where the coolant is going. Remember that it may be going INTO the cylinders, so pull the spark plugs out first. Hold pressure on the system as long as possible--overnight is good. Drain a little oil, the oil should float on top of the coolant, so when you pull the drain plug, you'll get water/antifreeze before oil comes out. When you crank the engine, you may see a geyser of coolant come out of the spark plug hole; if so, you'll know you have gasket problems; or a cracked casting.

When you do flush the cooling system, be sure to pull the block drain plugs front and rear, to remove the contaminated coolant and water from the block. Some folks only pull the radiator drain, and leave quarts of contaminated fluid in the engine. Be sure to buy PURE anti-freeze coolant, NOT the 50/50 pre-diluted crap. The pre-mixed stuff costs almost as much as the concentrated stuff, but you only get half as much, and a bunch of water.

Edited by Schurkey

since we're talking about a L82.... the UIM never comes into contact with coolant... on 96-up units, the closest it gets is the TB heating loop. lose a UIM gasket and you'll have a vacuum leak, but you won't mix fluids.

LIM is obviously a different situation, since it comes into contact with both oil and coolant.

that being said.... that doesn't look like oil getting into the coolant... i would expect to see some clear seperation if it were.