Diagnosing the convertible top...

Nas Escobar

Well, I bought my 94 Cutlass about a month ago with a bad top. I personally didn't care because I can put the top up and down manually. It's a hassle, but it's not like the top gets stuck in a certain position. I personally dislike going through the 5 minutes it takes to put it up though.

So when I started to diagnose it, I put Dexron in the motor and pressed the button. I heard gurgling, which I've been told is normal for a pump that has NO fluid, but then I heard squirting coming from the drivers' side. I then found myself with a puddle by the rear tire. On the passenger's side, everything seems dry and normal.

Yesterday, out of boredom, I decided to run my amp power wire to the trunk. I had to take off the trim panel where the top pump (I think it's called) is located, and I saw that the pump itself was wet with Dexron and that all the fluid came out through the top hose where the hose connects with the pump. (Sorry, not too familiar with convertible terminology).

When I bought the car, I was told it was a hose, but now that I personally look at it, I don't see any hose leaking. I see that all the fluid comes out where the hose Washer? is. not sure what that end piece is called.

Anyways, which one should I replace? The pump or the hose?

All help is appreciated.

I have been lucky enough to where i have never even had to stick my head back there to look at the pump or the struts (knocking on wood!) I'd say the first thing you should do is be back there in the trunk while a friend hits the switch so you can see firsthand WHERE the fluid comes out. That will determine your next course of action.