PA system

sdoDrew

Hey, long time no post. I Just recently finished wiring a Public Address system under my hood. Basically, it's a 40 watt loudspeaker hooked up to a CB truckers radio inside my car (for a little fun). However, when I push the transmit button on my microphone, I get nothing, not a single noise. When I release the transmit button, loud static from the speaker. The CB is functionign properly and My loudspeakre is fresh out of the box. Any idea's on what I may be doing improperly would be appreciated.

There are two speaker wires comign from the loudspeaker that hook int othe back of the CB and two power wires that go to the metal frame, and battery comign from the CB. (if that makes any sense)

Thanks, Drew.

[/img]

sounds like your cb is working just fine! It is supposed to mute the speaker on most cb's when you hit the transmit button. If it didn't mute you would get horrible feedback. And just as supreme_style21 said, all you have to do is turn the squelch knob just until you don't hear any more static when there's no signal, but if you turn it too far you won't be able to hear anyone when they are trying to talk to you.

• 2 weeks later...

You're using a CB right which correct me if I'm wrong was only designed to send an incoming signal to speaker not the outgoing one as you're trying to do.

The signal from the mic runs through various circuits before being converted to radio signal and transmitted. The incoming signal runs through the reciever and is then converted back from radio to analog signal which is amplified and sent to speaker.

Never looked at one but thats my understanding of them, you might have an easier time building something for just that purpose then trying to modify a CB to do it.

Hope that helps.

Some CB radios have a PA jack and a PA switch on the front.

If you don't have a jack marked PA and are using the one marked Speaker, you have connected the PA speaker to act as the external speaker for the CB which only outputs the incoming transmission, not what you say into the mike.

If you don't have a PA jack, you need a different CB. You may need one anyway if you have been keying the mike without an antenna attached because that can fry the transmitter. Do you have an actual switch marked PA anywhere on this thing?

Yep, you guy's were right. It didn't have the Radio out / PA out switch that my friend's had, therefore it wasn't working. I returned it, got my money back, and bought a small 40 watt amplifier. I then bought a pre-amp to power the signal from my microphone to the amp, and hooked it all up to a remote wire comign out of my deck. Works like a fucking dream, crystal clarity, its loud, obnoxious, and oh so glorious. Let me tell you, there is no better eeling than cruising to school blaring Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries.... G-damn, lol.

In my younger days, I too had a CB with PA output hooked to an external speaker under the hood. Had a lot of fun and never got in trouble. Believe it or not, the babes like it when complimented while crossing the street in front of you. However, comments must always be classy and you're sure to get a smille!

I've been wanting to do this so when some prick cuts in front of me without signalling, I can snarl into the mic, "Nice signal, JACKASS!"

Nothing irks me more than people that don't signal.

how about people that literally sit at a turn or intersection, theres like a HALF MILE of space between you and the car............they sit...sit....sit....still sitting. finally right as you drive by they pull out and **cut you off so bad**. there were no cars behind you, and now they are in front of you on every road you are driving, dirving 10mph under the speed limit. WHAT THE FUCK????

how about people that literally sit at a turn or intersection, theres like a HALF MILE of space between you and the car............they sit...sit....sit....still sitting. finally right as you drive by they pull out and **cut you off so bad**. there were no cars behind you, and now they are in front of you on every road you are driving, dirving 10mph under the speed limit. WHAT THE FUCK????

'Cause they are NJ drivers?