Convertible top issues.

Nas Escobar

So I originally bought a 1994 Cutlass Vert with a bad top. It wasn't anything major, but since spring is coming up, I don't want to be stuck putting the top up or down manually.

When the p.o. sold it to me, he told me a hose needed replacing. He didn't specify which, he just told me to go to a Chevrolet dealership and ask for the hose, which should cost $40.

So today, I decided to diagnose which hose was bad. I filled up the pump with Dexron III (since it calls for ATF) and I pressed the "convertible top button". I can hear the pump working, but I also hear a gurgling and a "draining" sound, similar to when a water pipe is drained. I look in the interior panels, and I saw that the driver's side near the quarter panel, all the fluid came out. I also think the p.o. used brake fluid instead of ATF because there was a green fluid there mixed with the red ATF in the interior where the hose spilled the ATF, and there was a strange smell. I hope that's from something else, but if not, I might have to flush it.

Anyways, I stepped into the outside of the car, and I saw a puddle by the rear tire. So I'm assuming that the fluid drains itself somewhere near the rear wheel well.

My questions are...

- Why does the top mechanism make that weird draining noise? Is it simple coincidence, or is there more to this story?

- How hard is it to change hoses? I saw that one of the hoses was red (with fluid in it), the other had none. I believe 2 hoses run to each side of the top, but this being my 1st convertible, not too sure of that.

- How do I access said hoses? I assume I have to take the rear panel off, but I don't see how that can be done.

- Where do I buy replacement hoses? I'm hoping this isn't a "GM" dealer only part, as I don't want to deal with the asinine dealerships in my area. Last time I went there, they wanted to charge me $200 to bleed the ABS system on my Grand Am.

All help is appreciated.

If it makes any difference, the back window is glass, the top is black, and it's a four seater. I've considered converting the rear seats to bench, but that's another story.

The gurgling is probably air still in the lines. Raising and lowering the top usually takes care of that, after awhile, the system is bled.

Rear panel, and side panel removal should get you access to everything you need, as far as the hoses, junkyard, or, if there are any hose companies in your town, they could probably make new ones for you much cheaper than OEM.

Funny you'd want a bench, instead of buckets..my '95 has a bench, black leather, and I wish they'd have offered rear buckets. :lol:

So I originally bought a 1994 Cutlass Vert with a bad top. It wasn't anything major, but since spring is coming up, I don't want to be stuck putting the top up or down manually.

When the p.o. sold it to me, he told me a hose needed replacing. He didn't specify which, he just told me to go to a Chevrolet dealership and ask for the hose, which should cost $40.

So today, I decided to diagnose which hose was bad. I filled up the pump with Dexron III (since it calls for ATF) and I pressed the "convertible top button". I can hear the pump working, but I also hear a gurgling and a "draining" sound, similar to when a water pipe is drained. I look in the interior panels, and I saw that the driver's side near the quarter panel, all the fluid came out. I also think the p.o. used brake fluid instead of ATF because there was a green fluid there mixed with the red ATF in the interior where the hose spilled the ATF, and there was a strange smell. I hope that's from something else, but if not, I might have to flush it.

Anyways, I stepped into the outside of the car, and I saw a puddle by the rear tire. So I'm assuming that the fluid drains itself somewhere near the rear wheel well.

My questions are...

- Why does the top mechanism make that weird draining noise? Is it simple coincidence, or is there more to this story?

- How hard is it to change hoses? I saw that one of the hoses was red (with fluid in it), the other had none. I believe 2 hoses run to each side of the top, but this being my 1st convertible, not too sure of that.

- How do I access said hoses? I assume I have to take the rear panel off, but I don't see how that can be done.

- Where do I buy replacement hoses? I'm hoping this isn't a "GM" dealer only part, as I don't want to deal with the asinine dealerships in my area. Last time I went there, they wanted to charge me $200 to bleed the ABS system on my Grand Am.

All help is appreciated.

If it makes any difference, the back window is glass, the top is black, and it's a four seater. I've considered converting the rear seats to bench, but that's another story.

I'm used to having bench seats in the back, plus the 3rd passenger thing is always convenient. I mean if I could find a way to get away with using the center console as a seat, I wouldn't do it. I kinda like the look of the buckets in the back.

Is there a how to for the panel removal? I'm not really sure how to take them off...

Edited by Nas Escobar

• 2 months later...

As far as hoses/lines, you may find that it is the fitting on the end of the hose or the hose may be split near the end and can be snipped off and reinstalled. The fittings can be found at a local plumbing store.

By the way, when I have to get into the side panels, I remove the paneling from the rollbar first-(best to have the top down). I take out the rear seat bottom by unscrewing the two bolts that point toward the trunk below the cushion, I remove the small bolts securing the rear seat back cushion and lift up , and the side panels have a long screw hidden in the carpet like material at the door/entrance area. It's a phillips and can be a pain to find. Just unplug, speakers and window switch and set the panels aside.

I'm used to having bench seats in the back, plus the 3rd passenger thing is always convenient. I mean if I could find a way to get away with using the center console as a seat, I wouldn't do it. I kinda like the look of the buckets in the back.

Is there a how to for the panel removal? I'm not really sure how to take them off...

• 3 weeks later...

I probably should have updated this, but I pretty much figured out how to do that myself. After trial and error, I figured out how to take off the panel. I personally didn't have to take out the seat, as there was no need to.I did take it out when I wired my car for subs, but that's another story.

I fixed the top too. Turns out it was the lifter that didn't work. It was completely shot. All is good with the car now. I just need to find a charcoal gray dash.