Turn signial issues... 94 cutlass supreme

72cuttysupreme

Ok guys. I have run into a strange situation with my cutlass. So I just got the car. I love it. Its real clean and runs like a swiss clock. Anyways here is the problem. My left turn signal wasn't working when I got the car, but the right one and the hazard flashers are working fine. So i'm like ok, easy fix. there was an extra flasher switch in the car that was supposed to be good when I got it. So I pulled it out and tried the other one. IT didn't fix the problem. Now here comes the wierd part... I pulled the flasher switch out and for got to put it back in. I'm driving down the road and turn my left blinker on and it works??!! With no flasher in! Is there some second flasher relay some where that I dont know about?

These cars are prone to have turn signal switch problems, Which I'm currently having my self. My left signal is not working properly. The contacts in the cam switch are worn and don't always make contact unless I jiggle it or slightly pull it towards me as I make a left signal. There are two separate flashers, the other for the hazard circuit. Dealing with it for now as the the steering wheel has to be pulled...fun, fun!!!

Man you hit it on the nail... I just took my lady to work, and went to turn left, and pulled back on the switch a little after engaging it, and it started working. Thanks alot man. Now at least I can use it. Maybe one of these days i'll get around to tearing the steering column apart ;)

Those switches are pretty expensive, Especially if you have steering wheel controls. I read somewhere About someone cleaning and adjusting in realigning the contacts In the switch cam. But you got to think yourself when you're all the way down there in the steering column you just really want to go ahead and put a new one in it, And not have to worry about it.

I went through 2 in 2 years. There is no "not have to worry about it". The switch on my '95 was screwed up when I got it. Replaced it with a Standard, it worked for about a year then fell apart. Literally, it made it so the actual lever did nothing. Replaced it with a Delco, still didn't work right, but it at least worked. Left turns it didn't want to lock on. Traded the car to another member that way.

I went through 2 in 2 years. There is no "not have to worry about it". The switch on my '95 was screwed up when I got it. Replaced it with a Standard, it worked for about a year then fell apart. Literally, it made it so the actual lever did nothing. Replaced it with a Delco, still didn't work right, but it at least worked. Left turns it didn't want to lock on. Traded the car to another member that way.

I think i'm just going to leave mine alone. The left signal works fin as long as I pull back on it a little. Other than that it works fine. I'll just use it till it quits...

Back when i first got mine it had an issue with not wanting to flash. Ended up replacing the component on the left side of steering column, and it fixed it. My grandfather wanted to create a stand-alone 3-way toggle switch to operate the turn signals only, while still allowing the wiper and highbeam control to function normally. I dont know how he would have done it though, not to familar with the electronics.

Remembering back he made a comment about how it sounds like snapping a celery stalk. and i remembered years ago someone here made the same reference. :lol:

Careful...

Often, when you have a signal problem, you can ALSO have a brake light problem...when mine failed I had NO brake lights,....unless I jiggled the stalk...and they'd go out randomly, until I finally replaced the switch. The first couple of days, I didn't have a left brake light, then I had none at all.

Back when i first got mine it had an issue with not wanting to flash. Ended up replacing the component on the left side of steering column, and it fixed it. My grandfather wanted to create a stand-alone 3-way toggle switch to operate the turn signals only, while still allowing the wiper and highbeam control to function normally. I dont know how he would have done it though, not to familar with the electronics.

Remembering back he made a comment about how it sounds like snapping a celery stalk. and i remembered years ago someone here made the same reference. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

BUMP. I found this thread, My turn signals and hazard lights do not work. Would this be the hazard relay? Or what component on the steering wheel was being talked about?

BUMP. I found this thread, My turn signals and hazard lights do not work. Would this be the hazard relay? Or what component on the steering wheel was being talked about?

I would try replacing the turn signal flasher first because it takes about a minute and is less than $10. It will be located right above the gas pedal.

If that doesn't work it is most likely the turn signal switch. ron350's link above has great instructions and pictures on how to replace it. The auto parts stores have loaner programs for the specialty tools that you will need.

One word of warning, though....Have someone check to make sure your BRAKE LIGHTS are working, then jiggle the turn stalk, and make sure you still have them. Often, if the switch is bad, you also have brake light problems....something you want to be sure of before driving the car on the road.

turn signal flasher on a gen 1 is above the brake pedal. hazard flasher is under the dash usually right behind/below the headlight switch.

gen 1.5 have an electronic flash relay that is on the firewall above and to the left of the column.

the TSS is the most likey culprit... and all of them suck and break.

I've converted several cars over to use the gen 1.5 flasher, including rewiring lights to make them more reliable. Maybe I should do a write up?

Absolutely. A write-up to go to a more reliable setup is a great idea.

turn signal flasher on a gen 1 is above the brake pedal. hazard flasher is under the dash usually right behind/below the headlight switch.

gen 1.5 have an electronic flash relay that is on the firewall above and to the left of the column.

the TSS is the most likey culprit... and all of them suck and break.

I've converted several cars over to use the gen 1.5 flasher, including rewiring lights to make them more reliable. Maybe I should do a write up?

I found the problem. The fuse on the side fuse Block is loose. It actually was sparking and melting the area around the hazard fuse. So, car is down for now, until I can get parts to fix it.

yea pulling it towards me fixes the problem on mine as well, but through the years it seems i have to pull it a little more each time, weird thing is when its really damn cold out the thing will work just fine (when its still cold in the car). not sure if that makes sense but its the only time it will work without pulling it towards me and even then it might happen once. The only part that sucks is sometimes ill flash by brights by accident. Wish there was an easy fix for this problem.

Pshojo, I'm glad you at least found the problem. I hope you didn't have to use your brakes much on the way home from the W-body meet in Ames. Wouldn't want that beautiful car to get ass packed.