Cooling fan questions.

Reride

My primary cooling fan (pass. side of car) will not come on. The secondary cooling fan (drivers side of car) will come on when the A/C is turned on but still no primary fan. The car is a '92 CS w/3.1L. I have swapped the fan and relay, sometimes when swapping relays with the motor running it will come on for 30 seconds or so and shut off and not come on again.

My questions are:

1) At what temperture should the fan turn on?

2) Where is the temperture semsor located?

The Primary cooling fan Should always be on the drivers side of the car, and the secondary on the passenger side. The Primary fan kicks on at 227 deg. The secondary usually runs in warmer weather with the A/C, and will also kick on if the primary fails to start. The temp sensor is located on the drivers side rear corner near the top of the engine block, it's hidden underneath the EGR valve If I recall correctly. I just had to replace my primary yesterday in my 95" GP. Only the secondary was running. My relay was picking but the fan was dead.

specs apply for 91-92 3.1 4T60 W-bodies only, others may(and probably will) be different.

fan 1:

on at 226, off at 219

on at 223 w/ A/C enabled, off at 215

fan 2:

on at 235 with or without A/C, off at 229

turning on for only 30 seconds is interesting.... that's actually really close the minimum fan-on time allowed (25.4 seconds)

and for A/C fan logic:

fan 1: on at 188, off at 137

fan 2: on at 236, off at 188

Thanks gentlemen, I found the temp sensor and replaced it. Now the primary fan comes on not only at temperture but also comes on fulltime when the A/C its turned on which it did not before replacing the sensor. I assume this is normal operation after reading your responces. Though the secondary fan has not come on yet. I did not want to try and overheat my car much, as it is running much cooler now.I will just need to keep an eye on it as it gets warmer out here in the southwest.