position of rear caliper piston

the_brandon

I recently did an all wheel brake job and a month later I was just looking through some forums and read that the rear piston has to be positioned a certain way.

I did not know this. What's the purpose of this? Should I be concerned?

Another thing is I'm getting an oscillating sound coming from the rear when I apply the brakes, it's not loud or bad sounding its just annoying. It started after I had to slam the brakes in rush hour traffic. What's this sound from?

Edited by the_brandon

warped rotor or pad deposition making it feel like a warped rotor.

EDIT: your torque the wheels in the correct pattern/amount? this can have an effect on brake feel.

I recently did an all wheel brake job and a month later I was just looking through some forums and read that the rear piston has to be positioned a certain way.

I did not know this. What's the purpose of this? Should I be concerned?

Another thing is I'm getting an oscillating sound coming from the rear when I apply the brakes, it's not loud or bad sounding its just annoying. It started after I had to slam the brakes in rush hour traffic. What's this sound from?

W H A T

V E H I C L E ???

Early W-bodies won't adjust the rear caliper pistons to compensate for wear unless you use the park brake now and then.

I don't know about '94-up rear calipers.

You are fine. Its only cars with Actuator-style calipers that you have to worry about that on. First gen W cars have that 88-96(and whatever MC/Luminas that had rear disc through 01) Your 04 has standard calipers on the back.

Thank goodness I didn't want to tear them apart to seat them properly. I was thinking, when I read about positioning the piston, why do I need to put the slots on the piston like that when the back of the pads are smooth.