TGP out of storage and has a couple of issues

alucardinc

Just got my TGP out of storage to check it over before putting it back on the road and need some advice. It's been in storage 7 years. Everything seems fine other than the brakes and AC. Fitted new battery and it started first time. My local garage is going to flush and refill radiator and oil etc. Problem is the brake light comes on when I press the foot pedal, some motor or other comes on also then brake light goes off. This happens every time the brake pedal is pressed. The brakes are not stuck on and appear to work ok. The parking brake pedal doesn't do anything, assuming this is stuck and needs freeing up. Any guidance as to exactly what cauld be the causes would be helpful. I am not a mechanic so will have to get a local garage to fix it but I would like to know roughly what it could be before I take it in. I read somewhere the brake problem could be air and they need bleeding, The only other problem is the AC , the AC unit does not kick in on when turned on. Read somewhere tha it could have low charge which stops it coming on.

1) Sounds like the accumulator on the master cylinder needs replacing.

The motor you hear running is the hydraulic pump that pressurizes the brake fluid.

2) The grease on the emergency brake pedal ratcheting mechanism is known to solidify over the years, and not allow the ebrake to be set.

3) Your A/C system is likely low on refrigerant, which will cause the A/C compressor to not run.

Thanks for your comments, very useful.

Would you reccomend bleeding the brakes before diving in and getting a new acumulator, It looks like a difficult job replacing it?

Or may be there other things I should try first?

I would pick one of these up and install it.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-25528382-Pressure-Accumulator/dp/B000C9LTRC/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1340753690&sr=8-18&keywords=GM+accumulator

You need to pump the brake pedal 40 times with the car off to depressurize the system.

Then you need to remove the heatshield on the bottom of the master cylinder unit.

Using a series of extensions and a socket remove the accumulator. You may need to remove the upper charge pipe (from the intercooler to the throttle pipe) to gain access.

Reinstall the new accumulator. Make sure you lubricate the o-ring with some clean engine oil upon installation.

Make sure the fluid reservoir is topped up and the lid is snapped on.

Turn the ignition to the on position. Let the fluid pump run until it stops.

Use a snow brush or something of that nature to wedge into the brake pedal to apply the brakes.

Bleed the master cylinder using the two bleeders located on either side of the master.

When you open the bleeders, the pump will run pushing the fluid out.

Make sure you don't run the reservoir dry, and top up as needed until bleeding is complete.

Reinstall heatshield, and charge pipe.

I have come across another problem. The parking brake will not lock on. The pedal pumps down ok and is applying the brakes but never locks to keep the parking brake on. I can hear a ratchet sound as it's pumped which is what I was used to in the past. I have cleaned and lubricated the cable and checked the rear wheel calipers and they are all free and working ok. The release mechanism is free and appears ok. Any help would be useful.

Brilliant, I did search the forum but didn't find this posting. I will try it over the weekend.

This Forum and the guys on it great. Every time I am looking for an answer to problem, I can either find it here or someone points me in the right direction with the answer. Parking Brake now working fine, it was the grease seizing it up. I am one happy bunny! :)