Rust: How much time do I have?

93regalcustom

Hello there! Tony from Hilliard here and after lurking around the forum for the better part of a year, I actually have a question! I have a 1993 Regal Custom sedan. Got it from the original owner, my great uncle, in 2009. It's been the best car I've ever had. It has just under 150,000 miles on it. 3800. Everything works, even the A/C. Interior is in excellent shape, the paint is okay. I had the car up on jack stands to work on the brakes (naturally) and noticed that the rust on the rockers is much more severe than I thought. I know that the car is certainly not worth the money to fix the rust, nor will I ever be able to, but it runs and drives like a brand new car. It's never let me down and I'd like to keep it long enough that I can buy a newer Regal, perhaps one without a 60/40 front bench seat. How much time do you guys think I have before she's unsafe to drive? I have considered spraying oil up there to minimize damage to the rail itself, would that help keep it intact longer? The rest of the body is in good shape other than a fender and the rockers; this side is much worse than the passenger side.

Thanks so much, Tony

post-7542-143689122446_thumb.jpg

This is the car in question from a much more appealing angle.

post-7542-143689122457_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't be so much concerned about the rockers as I would be about the rear trailing arm mounts. Check those for rust and also the strut towers. Rockers can be patched fairly easily... strut towers and trailing arms are structural and integral to the suspension of the car... if those give way, repairs are not nearly as easy.

Those are actually in good shape. I had to change the struts last year and it has Monroe Sensatracs on the front and back. The only other place with rust other than surface rust is on the filler for the gas tank. I've used that POR-15 to coat the inside of a washing machine tub before. Smells awful but it does work. I will clean it up when the weather in Ohio is warmer consistantly. I feel more comfortable putting a bit more money into the old girl now. Thanks so much, guys. I'll keep you posted when I get around to it.

Tony

I'd say some good coats of oil before or during winter wouldn't hurt either. I've used POR15 in various places and I still oil up the doors fenders and whatnot. Good insurance!

Awesome. I will do that. I'll paint and oil everything I can this spring.

The reinforcement that she can last a bit longer gave me the motivation today to finally change the front strut mounts and fix the rear coil spring. In all the years I've had it, the car's never rode as nice as it does now plus hearing an L27 is much more appealing than clunking and groaning, respectively. I didn't think it was possible to enjoy a 20-year-old sedan this much. Every time I fix something, I love the car more. Thanks again, guys. Tony

I didn't think it was possible to enjoy a 20-year-old sedan this much. Every time I fix something, I love the car more. Thanks again, guys. Tony

And that, sir, is why we're all here.

Is it safe to say POR-15 + oil treatment = Arizona car?

Definitely going to use on my next W, and thinking about it for my truck, seems like a wise idea.

Just last night I found an old pic of my mom's 1991 Regal. We called it the "757". It was silver and such smooth ride.

Hey Tony!! There are actually a few of us from Central Ohio. I live up north in Marengo (about 25 minutes north of 270), but I'm down in the city quite often. Two good friends of mine live in North Columbus.

Those rockers are huffed, but as long as the suspension points are good, you're alright. I would hit them with some oil coating or POR-15 just to keep them from rotting completely out.

Edited by tornado_735

Is it safe to say POR-15 + oil treatment = Arizona car?

Definitely going to use on my next W, and thinking about it for my truck, seems like a wise idea.

Just last night I found an old pic of my mom's 1991 Regal. We called it the "757". It was silver and such smooth ride.

just have it Krown'ed every year.

My winter driven vehicles (01 STS , and 01 Yukon Denali) are both southern vehicles, and have seen 4 and 3 winters respectively now. Have them both oiled at Krown every fall, keeps them nice and minty underneath.

Hey Tony!! There are actually a few of us from Central Ohio. I live up north in Marengo (about 25 minutes north of 270), but I'm down in the city quite often. Two good friends of mine live in North Columbus.

Those rockers are huffed, but as long as the suspension points are good, you're alright. I would hit them with some oil coating or POR-15 just to keep them from rotting completely out.

If you ever need a hand doing work, feel free to shoot me a text (614)209 4087

~Aaron

I will definitely put that number in my phone. Can't say that I travel to Marengo much other than to go the back way to Mt. Vernon, but I have been there a few times before.

I will definitely put that number in my phone. Can't say that I travel to Marengo much other than to go the back way to Mt. Vernon, but I have been there a few times before.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to miss lol. I'm a transplant from Columbus, but it's getting to expensive up here with all the driving the gf and i are doing. Plus electricity has went up, and propane for heat is astronomical.

Feel free to text anytime.

Oil ? I've never heard of anyone putting oil on a car. I guess it makes since. Brush and 10w30? Or?

Oil coating. The only brand I can think of is Waxoyl. It's really popular in the UK.

I suppose a brush would work, but to really get it everywhere it needs to be, most people use a garden sprayer. Stick it in every hole and crack (giggity) you can find in the undercarriage and just give it a good onceover.

Edited by tornado_735

I bought a super cheap paint gun at Harbor Freight to do mine, I made my own home made wax oil with a recipe Ken gave me.

Kerosene, heaviest weight oil you can find NEW, and paraffin wax. Melted all together in a double boiler.

I use an oil can that's metal. Ordered one on Amazon with an oil tube on it as well instead of the plastic or rubber that some I've had are. It leaks less.

But no, POR-15 and oil will not be as good as a southern car, but it sure helps!