I'm thinking of parting with my almost mint/stock McLaren GPT

alucardinc

I'm new to this forum but thought I would put some feelers out. I live in the UK, North West England.

I am thinking of parting with my much loved Red 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo (McLaren version) as I am approaching 70 years old.

It was imported from the US to the UK in November 1989 and I bought it the week it was imported with only 52 miles on the clock, it now has around 48,000 but has been off the road and stored for the last six years, it has been owned by me and I kept it garaged since it was purchased.

It is stock and almost mint as I have looked after if very carefully.

May be someone could give me an idea of what I should try to sell it for, I would appreciate and help as I know almost nothing about car costs of vehicles of this type?:)

I'm new to this forum but thought I would put some feelers out. I live in the UK, North West England.

I am thinking of parting with my much loved Red 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo (McLaren version) as I am approaching 70 years old.

It was imported from the US to the UK in November 1989 and I bought it the week it was imported with only 52 miles on the clock, it now has around 48,000 but has been off the road and stored for the last six years, it has been owned by me and I kept it garaged since it was purchased.

It is stock and almost mint as I have looked after if very carefully.

May be someone could give me an idea of what I should try to sell it for, I would appreciate and help as I know almost nothing about car costs of vehicles of this type?:)

Quite frankly these cars are worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Most people in the U.S. don't even realize these cars ever existed, I imagine a lot fewer people in the U.K. would have any idea what it is. In your situation I would probably try to get in contact with local automobile collectors, local automotive museums, and the like to see if they may be interested in purchasing the vehicle.

I'd imagine costs of shipping it back to the states would be expensive. Has it had any modifications to conform to EU standards? If so could they be undone easy?

Has to be a unique car where its at, not many left here let alone across the pond. Best bet would be to find someone locally that is interested. Try ebay?

Welcome to the forum. I have to imagine that you do not find many of these across the pond. I haven't seen many here myself. It's only worth what someone will pay. These cars aren't quite collector status yet, so the value all depends on condition.

I'd imagine costs of shipping it back to the states would be expensive. Has it had any modifications to conform to EU standards? If so could they be undone easy?If I remember the original shipping was arounf $2,000.No, it has no mods to conformed to UK standards. Battery leads have been changed, around 10 years ago, to fit a UK type batery.In 22 years it's has only had a new water pump, 1 full set of brake pads and once set of Good Year Gaterbacks at 47,000 miles.Has to be a unique car where its at, not many left here let alone across the pond. Best bet would be to find someone locally that is interested. Try ebay?
Yes it's definitely unique in the UK, I have thought of Ebay but really need to set the price correct.

I suggest selling it whole.

I am parting an almost complete tgp,and while the parts are unique nobody really wants them until their's breaks it seems.

And then it is still just a used part when it comes to pricing,they don't demand a premium really.

You would be much farther ahead posting it for sale and maybe ask a premium for having such a mint rare car over there.

Most owners are enthusiast's it seems,so if something breaks it is generally more desireable to upgrade it then replace offender with factory stock.

Very clean!!!!. I wonder how much shipping will cost to Canada?

Searching the web seems to give anything from $1500 to $7000 depending on method.

Standard shipping starts at around $1500 but for secure container shipping it ranges from $3000-$7000.

Rather epensive

Searching the web seems to give anything from $1500 to $7000 depending on method.

Standard shipping starts at around $1500 but for secure container shipping it ranges from $3000-$7000.

Rather epensive

So $1500 for the car and $1500 for shipping? Mint TGP for $3k? I'll take it! :D :lol:

I don't see you having a problem getting at least $4000 for it. Rusty ones go for $1500-2000 here..

Wow, very nice. I can't believe that one on ebay went so cheap. Even with the exchange rate that was a deal.

May not have actually sold for that. If it hasn't, it will be re-listed soon. It's been listed a few times...

Hi, I just joined this forum today. I thought it may help for me to give you my recent experience as far as pricing goes. I just purchased a 1990 red TGP(leather,roof) with 28K documented miles, and tons of repair records. The exterior of mine is in very similar condition as yours appears to be and then interior is excellent. I would say an 9 / 10 overall. It was garaged in Arizona most of its life and was just delivered by transport to me last week, here in central PA . I paid about $7K with the shipping. I had purchased a brand new black one back in 1991, but sold that car in 1994 or so. I always have had a special reverance for this car. There is something about the body styling and aesthetics of the cabin that is perfectly mated. Anyway, I would think that you could easily get $7K USD, if not more. Good luck you!

Hi, I just joined this forum today. I thought it may help for me to give you my recent experience as far as pricing goes. I just purchased a 1990 red TGP(leather,roof) with 28K documented miles, and tons of repair records. The exterior of mine is in very similar condition as yours appears to be and then interior is excellent. I would say an 9 / 10 overall. It was garaged in Arizona most of its life and was just delivered by transport to me last week, here in central PA . I paid about $7K with the shipping. I had purchased a brand new black one back in 1991, but sold that car in 1994 or so. I always have had a special reverance for this car. There is something about the body styling and aesthetics of the cabin that is perfectly mated. Anyway, I would think that you could easily get $7K USD, if not more. Good luck you!

sounds like you did pretty good. IMHO

We shall see...havent had the car long enough yet to know if there are any "Gotchas", but...so far, so good! I had to put it in storage, because I didnt tell my wife I even bought it. Going to wait until the timing is right on that one. :)