Body Kit Drawing Board

Myotis1134

Got another design done today. This one is actually based on a 2012 Challenger SRT8.

As you can see from the challenger pic, I really tried to get literal. Didn't work out so good, and the lines looked like shit. Had to improvise a bit to get similar rear end angles that worked, and ditto with the front end. Although when I was working the front I mostly just eyeballed the lines and ended up just using the angled back concept.

The mid-section line looked ok, though it would be a PITA to get it onto the Lumina, and same with the gas cap, although positioning it higher up looks better in my opinion.

Because there are mixed opinions on the whole hood scoop thing, the bottom pic has a more conservative hood scoop, and the pic above it has no scoop. I guess I just like a lot of hood.

post-3664-143689121668_thumb.jpg

post-3664-14368912167_thumb.jpg

post-3664-143689121672_thumb.jpg

post-3664-143689121674_thumb.jpg

Edited by Myotis1134

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Myotis1134

• rich_e777

• Euro

• skitchin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

now it looks a lot like a 3G Camaro to me. I like it mostly except the gas cap and if it were me I'd make the gfx lower. If I was going to go that far I would hide it behind the license plate...I like the shaved look.

also reminds me of a LeSabre T-Type

Edited by pwmin

I really appreciate your passion. I think you're doing the right thing by sharing your ideas and asking for feedback.

Here is my suggestion. I have highlighted some of the visual lines as I see it. For an agressive look from the side, you need smaller in front and "fatter" in rear.

For comparison: (and please excuse my poor MSPaint job...)

post-5921-143689121693_thumb.jpg

post-5921-143689121699_thumb.jpg

This would be my suggestion(agree with louvers as said before)

post-5921-143689121701_thumb.jpg

This "fattens" up the rear, more balanced.

post-5921-143689121704_thumb.jpg

Again, just my suggestion:thumbsup:

Damnit spent about an hour typing shit out and the fucker logged out.

Cliff notes-

Nissan=Datsun=:extrapuke:even if the do make the GT, Skyline,350z/370Z etc, i repeat:extrapuke:(dunno i think its funny:shrug:)

Challenger lines on a Lumina Carlo= hemmoroidial pain in the ass=cheaper to buy a Challenger+you get RWD:dance:

Last rendition looks like a Challenger freshly realesed from a Nazi concentration camp.( But i said it in a good way originally:thumbsup:)

I did similar line work with my CS and everything came out looking like a Skyline mid to late 90`s AWD variant, not a fan of front bumper splitters unless on a Viper, again dunno:shrug:

Everything looks better in Glossy Jet Black:thumbsup:

Now on may way to a beer run or this fuckng thing is going out the window like the Xbox360:lol:

I really appreciate your passion. I think you're doing the right thing by sharing your ideas and asking for feedback.

This would be my suggestion(agree with louvers as said before)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11618[/ATTACH]

This "fattens" up the rear, more balanced.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11619[/ATTACH]

Again, just my suggestion:thumbsup:

DMC Delorean:dance: (or 80`s gen Mazda RX-7 Savanha:extrapuke:)

I like this! 80`s looking hatchback befor they got gay.

Camaro/Pony Car wannabe. Couldnt even bother to put dual exhaust on it.

No more, No more, take it down.:lol: I hate those cars, rather have a prostate exam from an angry lesbian.

(Im sure it handles nice though)

Edited by rich_e777

Can someone tell me what is so wrong with the Z34 kit, that this thread has appeared?!

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

I don't think there is a problem, just nice to flex the mind and think of something cool and off the wall to do

Sent from my microwave using Tapatalk 2

It is, but if you want to make something custom, you'd be spending about twice what the car is actually worth. Not even worth my time IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

For an agressive look from the side, you need smaller in front and "fatter" in rear.

I agree with you on that, but it's not going to happen without some major chop and weld. The trunk is too shallow for the rear end to ever be significantly thicker than the front without raising the rear suspension, or putting larger tires on the rear, and neither of those options would be efficient, performance or cost-wise unfortunately.

Honestly I've been pasting all the tires a tad higher on the car than they would be on mine because it looks good. They would probably be in that position on a lowered suspension, but with stock height there's going to be more room to the ground, and I think that's going to be the best way to get a thicker, higher rear end, because the rear bumper can be thicker and still have some decent slope in it. The problem is (as you pointed out) that at the same time I want the car to appear to lean forward, which seems like it could be done by making the front of the car as low to the ground as possible, and sloping the rocker panel covers up as they move to the back, and the rear bumper sloping up even more.

The car just isn't as thick as modern sports cars, or almost any modern mid-size car for that matter, so it's not a question of can it have the same attributes as that other car, it's a exercise in how can we adapt concepts and ideas that are used to give other cars specific characteristics that look cool. I don't want to make my lumina look like a challenger, but if the challenger has some specific contours or angles to the bumper or wheel-well or whatever, that makes my lumina look more like the sports car that it is, then that's what I'm aiming for.

Lol that's the whole reason I'm dicking around with these sketches.

Sometimes what engineers will do is sit at a bar/coffee shop and just doodle sketches and bounce ideas around.

I know one who's constantly doodling/sketching, every time he gets out a pen and starts looking around for scrap paper, I think oh here we go again.. lol

But in the end, it's your project and you will have final say on what looks best. Keep up the good work!

It is, but if you want to make something custom, you'd be spending about twice what the car is actually worth. Not even worth my time IMHO.

You are more right than you know dude. In fact, by my calculations it's going to end up being several times what the car is actually worth.

I have enjoyed seeing all the different responses to this thread so far, and all I've done is put up some half-assed drawings. Let me tell you what these parts are going to be made out of.

1. 2-3 layers of carbon fiber - outer most layer

2. 2-3 layers of aramid fiber (kevlar)

3. Aluminum honeycomb - thickness to be determined

4. 2-3 more layers of carbon fiber

So carbon fiber products are expensive, and honeycomb in various materials is expensive, so it will be expensive to build these parts. It will probably end up costing several times what the car is worth (if not more).

This project is very irresponsible and stupid. I will never see a material return in the investment I'm going to put into this car, and everyone on here who says this is not worth their time is correct. I'm not sure why I can't just ditch the car and work towards buying a new one with less problems and more options, but I think it has to do with literally every single person I know telling me the car is a piece of s***, and I really should get rid of it. I have literally brought this car back from the dead twice so far, lost more blood working on it than I car to think about, and have spent thousands of dollars on parts that have not made the car more efficient, faster or more comfortable.

All these things have gone into the car, with no noticeable change. The car looks like it's several decades old, and even though the engine runs very well, cosmetically it won't win any prizes. That is going to change. I will come up with a design that looks awesome, I will make it out of badass materials, and I will install the parts on the car. It will get a badass engine, and badass components, and everybody who has ever told me to throw it away will be envious of the monster that it turns out to be.

All these things are going to happen, and I don't care how much it is going to cost. I'm single, have no kids, and if a little luck is on my side, will graduate in a couple months to a badass job that pays well and gives me weeks off at a time.

This project has been in the back of my mind for years, and it needs to happen so I can stop thinking about it.

p.s. next design - drifter lumina

Edited by Myotis1134

Don't worry Euro, FWD cars can't drift, only power-slide. Anyways I was referring to the "look" that really expensive "drifter" machines seem to have.

Sorry all you loyal fans, been neglecting the post for a while. School stuff, was starting to get in the way of what's really important.

So I finally got around to rendering an outline rear-end view, then cut off the bumpers, wheel-wells, and removed the Z34 tail lights and license plate setup. Left some bottom lines for a reference, and I gots myself a nice blank canvas to get naughty with. Not sure what I'll do to it, not even sure if this is the rear angle I want to go with... Probably just going to mess around with this one and see how it feels.

post-3664-14368912193_thumb.jpg

post-3664-143689121932_thumb.jpg

I'm feeling this one... didn't turn out too bad considering. pushing 32 hours awake. Damn you Adderall!

Started to do camaro again, but couldn't... this one is all challenger. Got the fender idea from Dom's car in Fast and Furious, at the end... when they are all rich... I'll put up a pic.

Need to not look at it for a while, so I can figure out how to do the contours.

Must have been thinking about rear window louvers, not sure how else I came up with... blinders I guess.

post-3664-143689121934_thumb.jpg

post-3664-143689121935_thumb.jpg