Top Posters In This Topic

• Myotis1134

• rich_e777

• Euro

• skitchin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

Yeah, so school happened. It was a close thing, but I kicked school's ass. Now I'm back on the case.

So over the semester I found some computer software called Sculptor, which was developed by some company in conjunction with NASA. This software is basically a CAD, with some hard core fluid dynamics algorithms that will tell you how aerodynamic the object in the program is. This function is pretty cool, but the software will also supposedly morph the drawn object into an optimal shape for being aerodynamic, within certain limits so the essence of the shape isn't lost. We'll see about that, but it is fairly badass.

I haven't had much of a chance to familiarize myself with the software yet, but I'll be seeing if I can't come up with some shapes that will squeeze a bit more aerodynamic ability out of the car.

• 1 month later...

I do crap to my car all the time that people don't notice, like, or appreciate. But that's not what doing custom work is about. It's about what you like. So if you can do some things to your car that make you like it more, then I say more power to you. Having said that, let me also say the kinds of changes you are talking about are MAJOR changes that will either take a lot of money or a huge skill set. It's on the level of turning a Grand Prix into a convertible or making a mid-engine Cutlass Supreme or a dual engine Cutlass--all projects that w-body members have completed!

Before you take a 20-year old car and spend $30,000 trying to make it a current state of the art car, consider what your real goals are. Maybe you just want a Camaro! Personally, the thing I love about Ws is that they DON'T look like all the cars on the road currently.

Please don't think I'm trying to rain on your parade because I find my imagination running in all kinds of directions too. But I've learned the hard way to understand the actual scope of a project, including learning and research, and available skills, materials, time, and money. Best of luck in all your car adventures!

Edited by redcar

I see that you're going for a Challenger look, but truthfully - I think you would end up doing more permanent body work than simple bolt on mods. I applaud you for it, but in realistic terms, are you able to fiberglass this much? The sky's the limit on paper, but how are your fiberglassing skills?