The unexplained..... Weird oddities in a w-body vehicle....

Starflare5

Hey there guys,

I have figured out that there are some things wierd about my car, like, for example, I have discovered that my '94 CS has a memory wire running into an analog cluster. I discovered this by accident when I kind of connected the power wires for my DIC for the first attempt and got it to be stuck on from the dash wiring. Needless to say, it was just a small wiring change, however, it seems like my '94 either had the first inclinings of a future change or a bring back from the past. Either way, it'll make changing to a digital cluster easier. ;-) My car has other odd quirks around it as well that I'm slowly discovering that are actually from the factory. Anybody else have oddities about theirs?

You could always look up the cluster pinout and I'm sure that would clear up the mystery wire.

It's an orange 12V battery constant extending from the radio memory and clock fuse already pre-wired to the dash, yet, the dash is analog which is why something like this is odd. It's small, but, not a mystery. Also, after looking at a haynes manual, this car seemed to have been the first to start streamlining the wiring and data buses.

http://imgur.com/a/2DRbK

94 CS cluster.

Yeah, my car has the orange battery constant that's not listed there. It doesn't seem to be listed or shown anywhere, however, it is a definite part of the harness, and, if I pull the memory/electrical fuse, it becomes disconnected. Wait a minute, no, correction, it is in a Haynes manual.

my `94 CS also likes to hoard .38 bullets in the far corners of the interior panels and collect random things like tennis balls and reeses` peanut butter cups and keeps them on top of the transmission and under the air intake.

Ive got a few different blank connections under the hood that the 3.4 version has connected but i dont have pre wiring for HUD or DIC.

it seems like the `94 CS was a pre 1.5 gen. Maybe a 1.25 gen?

Yeah, my car has the orange battery constant that's not listed there. It doesn't seem to be listed or shown anywhere, however, it is a definite part of the harness, and, if I pull the memory/electrical fuse, it becomes disconnected. Wait a minute, no, correction, it is in a Haynes manual.

what pin on the instrument panel connector is it connected to?

what pin on the instrument panel connector is it connected to?

This is going to sound odd.. maybe not, it's the same pin as there is for the old 3 point digital clusters. Pin C8 I believe.

1990:

C8 is a constant +12V on the base digi cluster.

D16 is the equivalent for the UB3 digi.

for 93, alldata is showing the base analog cluster(???) as using C8 as well. analog UB3 cluster has it listed for C8, though it has a note of "not used".

for 94, only one cluster is listed, doesn't mention it at all.

i assume it's an early 94(?), built with a mostly (at least) 93 compatible harness. perhaps GM changed it sometime during production?