Sell It, Fix It, or Rebuild It? 95 lq1 Cutlass Convertible

95LQ1VERT

My car decided enough was enough, so it popped a head gasket. 3.4l lq1, 138000 miles.

Here is the dilema:

1- I can sell it, for basically scrap value because engine issues and its a convertible in winter time and be out of a car.

2- fix it, but risk a main bearing or something bizarre go out in the next 5000 miles.

3- go all in and do a full engine rebuild to stock specs.

Which ever option it is, it's going to be expensive.

It burnt oil on start up, leaked a little oil over night so seals and stuff alike are on their way out.

I need some more experienced advice on this matter, any input is appreciated.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 95LQ1VERT

• GOT2B GM

• Galaxie500XL

• 19Cutlass94

I bought a 95 LQ1 Cutlass convertible last Sept for $500 off of the board with blown headgaskets @ 128,xxx miles

Car now has 130,000.

Seems to run good, runs better with 5w40 in it than it does with 5w30.

If you can do the work yourself, fixing HG's doesn't cost much.

coolant is pissing out the tailpipes and the resevoir smells like gas/exhaust. But i didnt see any brown muck under the oil cap. ill check again to be sure. Idk im just "freaking" out. :roll:

Even if you figure $3000, that is basically $3000 for a nice convertible with 138K and a newly rebuilt engine. Go find one of those for sale, because I doubt it will actually be nice or in that price. That is the way I looked at it when I had my head gaskets replaced.

THIS!

It will cost a bit to fix...but where else are you going to find something you already like that doesn't cost a lot more?

Besides, they only built 4090 '95 convertibles...they're getting pretty hard to find.

Even if you figure $3000, that is basically $3000 for a nice convertible with 138K and a newly rebuilt engine. Go find one of those for sale, because I doubt it will actually be nice or in that price. That is the way I looked at it when I had my head gaskets replaced.

Putting a 3800 sc in would be sweet but unfortunately I need this back on the road ASAP. Im probably gonna fix it, but who knows how extensive the damage is, all i know is that i drove it for a mile till I got home, and it tipped the temperature needle against the red once but went right back down as soon as the light changed green.

Would it be necessary to rebuild the heads?

I bought a 95 LQ1 Cutlass convertible last Sept for $500 off of the board with blown headgaskets @ 128,xxx miles

Car now has 130,000.

Seems to run good, runs better with 5w40 in it than it does with 5w30.

If you can do the work yourself, fixing HG's doesn't cost much.

I read through your thread about the triple white cutlass.. You dont happen to have any bottles of that GM engine cleaner left, or would the dealer have some?

Yeah I forget if they even can ship chemicals, I know you can't ship coolant from autozone to your house so i doubt they can ship that stuff. I read some good reviews on Berryman's b-12 chemtool. I guess I'll give it a shot.

BTW is there any write up on replacing head gaskets on an lq1? I know my haynes manual shows a 3.4 ohv motor instead of the lq1 in the pictures. I probably need to read it first though :)

Well... if you want to sell it, I would be interested in buying it? My daughter blew her 3.4 by putting diesel in the gas tank. I dropped the tank, flushed the diesel out the lines and she started right back up. Then the engine started knocking 300 miles later. The engine machines shops around me ,told me of course after the fact the engine was knocking, that any other engine would have been unaffected by the diesel. But the way the 3.4 is designed with the loose tolerances that diesel got into the crankcase.

I purchased a 3.4 from a guy out in Buffalo with only 34K on it for believe it or not for only $150. This engine was pristine inside. He has another one for the same price and that one only has 47K on it. Let me know if you want his number

If you'd give me the number that would be great, how much did he charge for shipping because there would be no way I could drive to buffalo and pick it up. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been waiting for a few weeks now to get this thing started. Today was the start, and by start was me picking up a Fel-Pro Head gasket set. $119.99 - $20 Autozone loyalty Monies aint bad.

I am also deciding on whether to make a "Lq1 head gasket for first timers" thread or to just post my results on here.

anyways this will soon be under way!

cleaned out the garage all day yesterday and got my dads boat and everything else not needed in the winter put in there. Got my car in there also and tore into it at Midnight. :thumbsup:

So far I have the UIM/LIM off. The hardest part so far- the serpentine belt removal, Who knew that buying a Metric box end wrench set doesn't come with an 18mm? :lol:

I had a deep socket 18mm that wouldnt fit, but no wrench so i just rented a serp. belt tool. It was off in 15 seconds

I got good at it. At one point, I could tear down and replace the timing belt in about an hour. I had timing marks though, so not the true way to time it

Im planning on putting the engine to Top Dead Center and then Marking all the positions of the cam sprocket to the carrier housing, and marking the belt and what not so when I reassemble it, Its already "timed". Idk if that made sense but I think it will work.