aluminun cradle

araab

I have done a ton of measurements and an aluminum cradle from a late model impala or others will bolt into my 96 gp. I am thinking of modding one for my control arms ect. I am not the best welder but a friend of my could weld a turd to diamond if need be. He is amazing, Anybody ever tried this? I think im gonna.

I want to save weight and keep all the good stuff plus it looks pretty sweet. Is there anything i am over looking? Any input would be nice. Also is there any after market control arms available or do i need to make my own? It is a topswapped l36 in the car if wondering.

Why not just get control arms for that cradle? Seems alot easier to me...

Its a Gen2 cradle and a Gen1 car. Totally different control arm mounts. I had test fit a 2000 gtp cradle into my 88 gp and it bolts in but the control arms have a wider stance. I am going to make new mounts to fit Gen1 control arms.

without serious modification, a gen 2 cradle will not fit a gen 1/1.5 car, but if you can make it happen with good enough welds that others would be willing to drive in the same state as you... you might be on to something.

If, however, the ability and skill necessary is lacking and the cradle cannot be modified while being safe to use in any way shape or form of something safe at all... DON'T DO IT!

good luck!

Do you have to weld to the aluminum cradle? Isn't aluminum welding like, some mythical feat amongst welders?

Curious how much lighter the front cradle is? Any reduction in weight from the engine area should actually help the cars balance. Can't imagine it'd change the weight distribution too much. From what I've gathered, base curb weight is in the range of 3243-3378(off my sticker). Weight split is something like 64%/36%. 100lbs off the front cradle would put you right around 63/37, which is an improvement, but if the weight difference is less than that, I wouldn't even bother.

You're honestly better off drilling weight saving holes into the old one to save weight. The amount of work needed to do it would not pay off IMO

After more research its about 30lbs difference. Definitely not worth the work. I still want to find ways to drop some weight. I am concerned about traction though. It will light up the 9in wide tires at 30mph. Granted that's fun but defeats the purpose. I'm still learning how to control this thing.

• 4 years later...

Since the control arm mounts are different on an aluminum cradle, couldn't you just use the lower control arms off the donor car with the aluminum cradle?  

The cradle is not a direct fit, Miko did it a couple years ago. You could run the c

newer control arms but I personally don't like the design of them. The cradle mounts to the front of the car are the problem if memory serves.

Since the control arm mounts are different on an aluminum cradle, couldn't you just use the lower control arms off the donor car with the aluminum cradle?  

Holy necropost. No, the newer control arms don't attach the to rest of the suspension. There's probably been 5 bajllion threads on this over the years.

Holy necropost. No, the newer control arms don't attach the to rest of the suspension. There's probably been 5 bajllion threads on this over the years.

and he found the original!

because the ball joints are a different gender.