Power Steering Pump Fail? L67

EviLette

Hey Folks,

I took the GTP on a 360 mile round trip yesterday. The car didn't let me down, but it did break. I think.

My power steering pump is possibly dying, and I'd like the consensus here. It was apparently replaced about five years ago, but they aren't sure if it was a salvage special or new/remanufactured/aftermarket part.

As long as I am putting power to the tires (not a lot by any means - just not simply "coasting" IE when backing out or turning or idling in drive in a parking lot) it functions fine, but with no power to the wheels whatsoever, it is completely locked up. It grinds and makes all kinds of icky racket.

A couple of months ago, I did note a whining coming from it. I actually had to go to O'Reilly to have help locating the damn thing, I wanted to check the fluid but had NO IDEA where it was. Under the alternator (which of course I replaced - I felt real dumb). It was empty, and the guy at O'Reilly filled it for me. The noise went away - but I didn't think anything about bleeding it (leaving it open and cranking the wheels etc).

I had to pull off the highway to check the fluid, and it was full.. as in all the way to the filler-neck full. You guys think my power steering pump is shot, or do I just need to drain some of this fluid out?

I've been through a lot power steering pumps on my Cutlass. These cars are very hard to drive without a power steering pump working properly. When it goes you will know. At low speeds it is very difficult to turn the wheel lot 's resistance.

At higher speeds, I never had a problem with a bad pump interfering with my steering. I run 50% power steering fluid and 50% stop leak/squeal in my pump. Helps keep the whine down. I hate that stop leak crap, but in the power steering system I don't think it will cause any harm.

Yeah it sounds like a pump is shitty to me too. My GP went through the same sequence of events IIRC. I remember coming home from school and it being a whiny little bitch because the tank was dry...then a little while later it whining and failing altogether. It's a PITA to change too :mad:

I have a spare pump, I replaced it because I thought it was whining, it was the ac compressor whining so I replaced it for no reason... interested?

Interested, as long as we are aware this is for the 99 GTP. I assume it's a match for the Regal?