foltyfamily

foltyfamily

Hi! I'm a new member and need some help, I am trying to remove the crank shaft pulley on a 3800 Buick engine and can not get it out! anyone have any advice? i don't know if its right or left handed threads, I don't want to heat it because its has rubber in it! Anyone with any advice please help, I need to get this off to change the oil pump. Thank you foltyfamily.

Hi! I'm a new member and need some help, I am trying to remove the crank shaft pulley on a 3800 Buick engine and can not get it out! anyone have any advice? i don't know if its right or left handed threads, I don't want to heat it because its has rubber in it! Anyone with any advice please help, I need to get this off to change the oil pump. Thank you foltyfamily.

the bolt is standard right hand thread and very tight. I have removed many with a half inch impact gun. I have heard of guys putting a breaker bar on them and bumping over the starter but that sound dangerous to me. You will need a puller to get the balancer off when you get the bolt out.

Welcome. Best way I've found to get those on and off is to use a 1/2" impact gun with enough air pressure. As stated, it's a right handed thread. Then to get the pulley off, use a puller.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

It's the red thread locker that really makes it stuck, initially. And you'll definitely need a quality impact and high air pressure. My Snap-on impact and ~120psi out of my little 5 gallon compressor wasn't enough to knock mine loose. Had to concede and ended up putting a wrench on it and bumping the starter. It worked then. You might have to do it the cro-magnon way if you don't have a big enough gun or enough air.