Front end body replacement question

rich_e777

On my way to work this morning had a slightly more than gentle encounter with a Ford truck and it messed the front passenger side corner up some. Plus the hood at that corner was damaged along with the front bumper and drivers front panel is damaged from the past. So ive decided to just replace everything that can be taken off vs attempting body work(saving that for damage in the back on the drivers side)

My question is are there any good ways or tips for getting the all the lines right and body pieces fit? I figured the hood first then the front bumper then side 1\4 panels and installation is reverse. Im hoping i can find one in good shape the same color as mine but as long as i dont have to mix to many colors i can live with it til i can get the entire car repainted.

When I rebuilt the front end on my friends Intrigue, this is what I did:

Hood first, it's the easiest part to line up. Then the bumper.

Fit the quarter panel and bolt it on, don't tighten them though. Take some thick pieces of cardboard and fold them in half until they fit tightly in the gap between the hood and the fender on the other side. Use those folded pieces as a gap measurement tool while tightening the bolts on the fender.

Hey thanks thats the kind of info im looking for. Didnt think to use cardboard like that. I hate to replace the entire quarter panel 2X but its the very front that surounds the lights that so jacked up no amount of bending or bondo would ever make it look good and if it was a sedan i wouldnt really care as much. Bumped up my schedule for a number of projects enough i can consider this a mini-restoration, i had planned on engine and suspension work this weekend as well.

upon further inspection it turns out that my headlight panel the large plastic pies that runs the full legnth of the front that everything attaches to is broke as well. Replaceable at least but the problem is there arent that many w-body coupe or conv. CS in the yards around here, and the 3 that ive found this week all had their headlights duct-taped into place.:shrug:

So can one be used off of a GP 2 door with the same mini-quad set up or is this front piece unique to the cutlass?

Why would they be different for verts from coupes? They have the same light setup in the front. The piece im talking about is what the headlights and inner turn signals bolt into, not the cosmetic surounds that have the 3 pins. This piece in turn bolts up to the header pices that the radiator is connected to.

You guys are saying these differ between verts and coupes? how?

The only difference I can think of between convertibles and coupes on the front ends are the fenders. The convertibles use modified coupe fenders, due to the added rocker panels for structural rigidity on the convertibles.

At the Pull-A-Part here in Knoxville, there's a white coupe that would have the headlight panel you need...might be a worthwhile drive, since you're only about 3 hours away..

Why would they be different for verts from coupes? They have the same light setup in the front. The piece im talking about is what the headlights and inner turn signals bolt into, not the cosmetic surounds that have the 3 pins. This piece in turn bolts up to the header pices that the radiator is connected to.

You guys are saying these differ between verts and coupes? how?

Edited by Galaxie500XL

I`d have to make that drive with a leaky LIM, but if its intact and not all taped up like a repair job in the hood im used to seeing i might come and get it. As far as body panels im identical to a vert(cosmetic wise), checked many times. Crazy K and 94 olds vert have me thinking just the black plastic headlight clip are different between verts and coupes but from what i cant tell theres no difference in this particular piece. Finding one is the challenge.

Here in nashville there is a pick n pull as well and both places want about $30 bucks if i can get it off.

I can get pictures of one right now. I am pretty sure there is at least one behind my shed at home here.

I tried to get pictures of all of the mounting tabs on this.

9D328283-BF96-44E7-B042-0967B80D2110-993-000000F7BE47A55C.jpg

867F60F6-A089-408D-AF09-BF6C36C02018-993-000000F7C4EE08B9.jpg

FBA3F2BB-B635-4F61-B763-A13FA114DCE9-993-000000F7C9DAEC8A.jpg

E7604B5E-1DBD-4EC7-AAC7-D17A23BB84DE-993-000000F7CFCA24C9.jpg

522D8886-0E72-496B-9597-CFC1622FCB6B-993-000000F7DA5FCF4E.jpg

24B0518F-30F0-4E9F-B11B-641898A3469E-993-000000F7E090DFBC.jpg

16D9ADD9-5B9E-44BD-99AD-A7D13601EEE4-993-000000F7D51DA305.jpg

Edited by 94 olds vert

Thats it exactly, mine got cracked in a few places but all the headlights are still good. The only thing holding up that corner is the black cover that held into the header by the 3 pins. Honestly its not bad and it matches the damage on the rest of the car just fine, now there is no good side to take pic from.

If i cant find one here in Nashvile how much you want for one you have?

Header Panel, no idea why i kept wanting to call it a front clip. These are different on verts than hardtops?

Edited by rich_e777

I don't really recall what I paid for this, but I will be more than fair with you on price. Shipping is always a pain on something like this.

Let me know if you can find one or not. I guess if they are the same as the coupes. Any 92-97 Cutlass with miniquads will work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

got sort of an update/related issue now. im thinking because of the collision it damaged my radiator as im getting a slight coolant leak on the drivers side and its wet from coolant about halfway up around a fan mounting bracket, At the same time its been cool enough at night to have to defrost and defog so i am running that too. after awhile the leak stops until the car is started up again and driven for awhile. does this sound like a cracked radiator, loose hose, etc?

+defogger button on console dosent engage unless pressed immediatly after start up, but it does work. is this somewhat of an easy fix,a nd should i have started a new thread for this?

• 3 months later...

Having taken a few pics of the major body damage for a few companies I figured I`d post them here for shits and giggles, not so much giggles these days. Pulled her out of storage and im starting to think my head gasket is going. Murky coolant in res. slight greenish residue under oil cap, rotten egg sort of smell when pushed up around 3000 rpm. To bad, is still badass and more than deserves a repair than a one way trip to the yard.

well this site wont let me upload and photobucket isnt working ATM, oh well CS fans have been spared for now. Wait got them on my FB accounthttp://www.facebook.com/richard.davis.9256028

Edited by rich_e777

Only got the one now, im thinking about following it thru all the way across the headlights as well. Planning on sticking some leds down in the fog/parking? light wells and doing that mod to have them on with the high beams. I`d like to find a way to remove the orange off of them, it just doesnt fit. They do make these led strips that i think i might try, just black out the whole thing drill a hole for the wires and use the strips as flashers.

outer corner turn signals I meant to say, already upped the inner ones with brighter bulbs. Ive had them like that for so long i forgot the came orange from factory:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

After so long and with the power of positive thinking about a green 2D Cutlass, I FINALLY FOUND A MINI_QUAD HEADER AND CORNER TURN SIGNAL!!!!!, best part i had so much instore credit with pull a part i got everything for $4.37!!!!!:dance: But should have been thinking about an Aqua Metallic one and I could have grabbed the 1/4 panels and hood. Poor old girls body was in beautiful condition but it was that wierd olive drab greenish color and the interior was shit. I was actually able to remove it without taking the bumper off the donor car too.:think:

P.S. saw a guy putting SS badges on a non-SS Monte Carlo and busted his chops on it, he didnt find it as funny as I did:D

I think i might paint it:think: I have gold and a case of Aqua Met. Dupli-color thats been just sitting here. Always thought green and gold went together nice. Have to think about it over a beer or four:thumbsup:

Man hang on to those CS parts if you still have them, getting harder and harder to find nowadays and you can probably make some good money off them and help a few CS stay looking good.

Edited by rich_e777