98 Lumina Rear Crossmember replacing

JimMadsen

Greetings all, new to the forum here. I will apologize in advance for not doing a search, but am typing this at work and can only spare a few min.

My rear crossmember turned into 3 pieces from rust and now the car is parked til fixed. Got a used one with both trailing arms and all 4 control arms for 200 from the junkyard.

Can someone please give me a quick step by step on instructions to replace? Maybe pictures? Heck I would even be thrilled with a link to another thread with step-by-steps or even a simple "good luck." I am thinking it should be kinda straight forward, if not a pain in the butt because the bolts won't wanna break easy. Dealt with those things before so am not too concerned. I have done some things like this before. I do my own front brakes, replaced the front struts myself (went very easy once bolts where broken) and worked on the shackles on my wifes SUV.

I will be poking around more on the forum tonight after work. Cause with my luck there is a sticky out there with all of the info.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by JimMadsen

Even though this is more of a performance base build, it still deals with aspects of the rear end that might help you out.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/30733-GTP_MuNkYs-Suspension-Upgrade-Thread-*Update-Pg-13-New-struts-and-sleeves*

It will be somewhat involved, however if you take your time its not bad at all. Just labor intensive. Hope this helps.

Thanks, good read on there.

The junkyard part I am getting (hopefully tomorrow, just talked with them, coming from another yard) is supposed to be the entire unit dropped right out. So the laterals should be connected already to the crossmember (hence no bushings to mess with) and I am hoping the forward control is hooked up as well. But my line of thinking has it that the forward is hooked into the knuckle.... so maybe I am getting more than I asked for parts wise????

With any luck I can just unbolt the old from frame and shock and put the other one on.

Got it all done, the junk part was the crossmember, lateral arms, knuckle, wheel hub, suspension. had to get new forward arms from Napa.

Car makes less creaking noise now!

• 4 weeks later...

I will probably tear it apart and rebuild it. Really glad I bought the strut tool. Would hate to have to run around renting. I must say the harmonic balancer was replaced pretty easily. Took maybe a hour and a half, including eating lunch.