Tires or Axles (Vibration)

jake91

I'm getting this vibration from my car when i get above 60mph it doesn't get bad till 75mph though. now if i hit the throttle around 80mph it will shake hard enough to rattle things in the car, and once i let of it goes back to just a vibration. it doesn't do this at all under 60mph, and the acceleration shake doesn't start till 75+. I am thinking bad tires or a CV axle.

thoughts car has only 60k miles

Cheapest thing to try is a quick balance, but it's fairly un-common (not 100% unheard of though) for wheel weights to fall off...

Sometimes you can have someone else drive your car on the e-way while you drive near it, watch each one of the wheels... Sometimes if it's really bad, you can actually see the wheel bouncing.

Well i feel so freaking stupid. this is embarassing. the vibration is all my fault due to me neglecting the gtp for a couple months. i took it to discount today to air up the tires and they were all 20lbs low and unevenly worn as a result. still need to get them rebalenced. but it is a ton better with just air

so laugh all you want and make fun of me. i deserve it

Meh, it happens. Has the temperature changed down there in the last few months? Up here I'm sure there's a more drastic change, but my tire pressure changes with the seasons.

I was going to say axle too though

one is leaky it was down to 13 all the rest were at 18-20. last time i aired them up it was 110* after just driving 40 miles so the tires were hot. it is now 75* degrees out

Yeah the past few weeks we've gotten a shit ton of calls and people coming in "My tire pressure light is on!!! I HAVE LEAK!!". The change in weather has had a huge effect.

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to update this as a possibility for others. I finally found the vibration and its fixed. New tires helped and so did a cv axle, but what finally fixed it was new engine mounts

Just wanted to update this as a possibility for others. I finally found the vibration and its fixed. New tires helped and so did a cv axle, but what finally fixed it was new engine mounts

Glad for the update.

I have NEVER seen a vibration problem caused by tires that got worse when additional power was applied. Additional speed, yes. Additional power without (much) change in speed--no.

When power is applied, and the vibration gets worse, it's always something else in the powertrain--axles, mounts, bearings, etc. Not tires.

I can usually tell when my Blazer needs air in the LF tire because it will start riding like crap and pulling :lol:. So I just pull it in the shop every week or so and top the pressures off and clean the windows/top off washer fluid.

I can usually tell when my Blazer needs air in the LF tire because it will start riding like crap and pulling :lol:. So I just pull it in the shop every week or so and top the pressures off and clean the windows/top off washer fluid.

Because fixing the leak would be more trouble than dicking with it every week???

• 2 weeks later...