94 3.4 starting issues

oldsfever

On my 94 CS, it's developed a problem starting after it has been driven for a while. I can drive short trips and don't have a problem but when I drive for 30 minutes or more, stop and shut off the engine, it will not start for about 20 minutes. Seems like it has to cool down but it is not overheating. I've tried jump starting it and that doesn't help. It turns over very slow, sounding like the battery is dead. I'm thinking the starter is over heating but before I blindly replace it, I wanted to see if anyone here has had this problem.

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

On my 94 CS, it's developed a problem starting after it has been driven for a while. I can drive short trips and don't have a problem but when I drive for 30 minutes or more, stop and shut off the engine, it will not start for about 20 minutes. Seems like it has to cool down but it is not overheating. I've tried jump starting it and that doesn't help. It turns over very slow, sounding like the battery is dead. I'm thinking the starter is over heating but before I blindly replace it, I wanted to see if anyone here has had this problem.

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

There is an ENORMOUS difference between "cranks properly but won't start" and "doesn't crank properly".

You seem to be in the "doesn't crank properly" group.

Defective battery

Defective starter

Defective cables between battery and starter, INCLUDING the ground side of the circuit.

First Guess: Starter going bad. (checking and cleaning the cable connections--power and ground--is cheaper, though.) Don't forget to verify that the battery is holding 12.6--12.7 volts with no load on it. Depending on ambient temperature and the CCA rating of the battery, It'd better have about 10 volts (or more) while cranking.

Testing for voltage drop between battery and starter would be a good idea, too.

Starter_Voltage_Drop_Testing.JPG

Edited by Schurkey

Thanks for the response. I've checked the voltage and all is okay. I'm going to go with the starter going bad. It baffles me that it only happens after I drive it for a while otherwise it starts everytime on the first try.

Same problem happens on my truck, in my case the exhaust leak from the manifold heats the starter to the point that it won't turn the engine over after getting too hot. Heat = resistance for electricity.