3.4 DOHC Turbo Kit

94gp3.4

I was wondering if anyone had a complete list of what it would take to put a turbo on a grand Prix with a 3.4L. And if anyone knows how to get the engine back to the original 300 hp that it was originally intended to have. Would if be better to do that then the turbo or one or the other. And what will a stock 4T60-E withstand up to. Id like to reprogram it to have the 300. But it would be cool to have one with a turbo too. Also if I were to do either or. What hard parts or rebuild kits would I need to strengthen the tranny. I would like a complete list as I am new to the turbo and transmission rebuilding.

Edited by 94gp3.4

Just wondering why is your thread for '3.4 DOHC turbo kit\ if you don't have a 3.4l? are you planning an engine swap to the 3.4?

I think it was the plan for the LQ1 originally to have 300hp but it was detuned by GM so it wouldn't cannibilize other high performance gm cars from that era or something like that. They never produced the LQ1 with that hp maybe a prototype but I\m sure GM destroyed all the materials for it. would be next to impossible to try and replicate that now. major $'s. If it was easyish we would all have done it already and then begin work on turbo setup. If it was tru,e wbodys would be a lot more popular.

theres a guy on 60 degree that has a turbo 3.4. I can't find the thread right now, but I'm on my way out the door to work, I'll look later and see if I can't find it. It is all custom though, lots of $

want a 300HP LQ1? it's called the L37 Northstar.

otherwise, making 300HP with a LQ1 while being N/A would require significant head/intake/exhaust rework, retimed(or different altogether) cams and a significant increase in compression.

and after all of that, you hook a 4T60E up to it and kill it within the first couple of WOT shifts due to all of the power the engine making being at an RPM that the trans can't withstand. having a 4T60E shift beyond ~6000 or so significantly shortens the life of it, the 65 has the same issue, but the 4T80 would probably live through it.

Here's what I did:

Two front exhaust manifolds, one bolted on each head.

Modify the crossover with a Y to the turbo

Remove bumper, relocate battery to trunk, and build intercooler piping from turbo, to air to air, back to intake plenum

For oiling, tap into the oil pressure sending unit with AN line to the turbo, and a 3/4 inch back to the oil pan. Modify oil pan with fitting accept oil return.

Gasket matched plenum and intake manifold

P&P heads

Polished pistons / valves

For fuel, splice a FMU into the fuel return line

Get a boost gauge and wastegate, set wastegate to 7-8 psi

Tune, tune, tune, tune........

I have most of my set up for sale currently, sold the turbo and wastegate a long time ago, scrapped most the piping. I do have an intercooler that works nice off a Saab.

I also added a Meth kit for added safety.

Mind you, while I did get this built, I never got to see it run before I had to demod for money reasons. It's not a cheap adventure, nor easy. Hope you or someone you know can weld, I did not know how so this was by far the most challenging part of the build.

• 8 years later...
On 9/7/2012 at 6:56 AM, topless94style2 said:

Here's what I did:

Two front exhaust manifolds, one bolted on each head.

Modify the crossover with a Y to the turbo

Remove bumper, relocate battery to trunk, and build intercooler piping from turbo, to air to air, back to intake plenum

For oiling, tap into the oil pressure sending unit with AN line to the turbo, and a 3/4 inch back to the oil pan. Modify oil pan with fitting accept oil return.

Gasket matched plenum and intake manifold

P&P heads

Polished pistons / valves

For fuel, splice a FMU into the fuel return line

Get a boost gauge and wastegate, set wastegate to 7-8 psi

Tune, tune, tune, tune........

I have most of my set up for sale currently, sold the turbo and wastegate a long time ago, scrapped most the piping. I do have an intercooler that works nice off a Saab.

I also added a Meth kit for added safety.

Mind you, while I did get this built, I never got to see it run before I had to demod for money reasons. It's not a cheap adventure, nor easy. Hope you or someone you know can weld, I did not know how so this was by far the most challenging part of the build.

How’s the car holding up after these years