Power Steering Noise

Nicutlass_Supremacy

Hi, here I´m again. I´m trying to cut off all the noises in my cutlass because they make me crazy!!! Recently I performed a major advance in quietness (I´ll post photos of what I hace to do) but now I hear other noises!!!! And now I think there´s something wrong with the hydraulic pump of the power steering. Everytime I make a turn I hear a continuos "tuuuuuummm" noise. I check the pump and the fluid level is ok. Could it be air in the system?

These power steering pumps love to whine and make noise. Ask me I've tried several different pumps, and bled the system many times.

I was reccomended Barrs Power Steering stop leak fluid on this forum and it really did stop the whine I was getting after I bled it through the system.

The best way to bleed the pump would be to jack up the front of the car, take off the power steering fluid cap, and start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock 20 times. Keep an eye on the fluid level and have a bottle of power steering fluid ready to put in.

My CS does this to when the wheels are turned completly to the left or right, i figured it was normal. Ive replaced my PS pump with a rebilt one that whines even worse. As does just about every other FWD GM car ive come across older than +10 years.

Is it the bearings that make that noise or what? Ive got my old PS pump staring at me on the shelf and i know its still good but im kindof wanting to take one apart and see how it works. I remember when i first got my car it was the most silent car ive ever been in. Sometimes i forgot the engine was running when i was stopped, not now though.

"Its louder than it has any rite to be"

a w-body.com member:lol:

It could be the bearings could be air in the system. Switching out the pumps on these cars is easy. I've found all aftermarket pumps whine at some point. I've put new ones in and they whine right away.

Wasnt until I found a NOS pump that the noise went away, but I still had some whine. Barrs stop leak power steering fluid really helped out.

I agree most of the time... however my old work had a fleet of old ford vans and nearly every one of them sounded like Chewbacca was stuck in pit. I think it was Lucas power steering additive that we used but it worked wonders.

I don't trust anything stop leak either, but I'll dump that into a power steering reservoir. It does seem to work. I know people that run straight stop leak fluid in power steering fluid in there cars with no issues.

• 1 month later...

the Autozone website keeps showing a PS fluid filter which my particular car does not have anywhere on the fluid line and im going to try one of these with some PS fluid /w a conditioner in it and i`ll let you guys know how it works.