91' Top Stopped working. Where are the fuses/ relays?

rawdeal91vert

Morning,

Went to put the top down this morning and nothing. Push the button and no sound no movement. Where the fuses or relays for this thing. The top had been working just fine no issues. Are the switches themsevles prone to failure? ANy suggestions on where to start would be most appreciated.

The switches can go bad. Try wiggling it. The fuses for the top should be under the glovebox. The motor for the top is in the trunk on the right hand side. May want to check your fluid level.

I jiggled the relay in the trunk. I jiggled the switch. It is working now. Go figure. Weird wires... beats me. There is no fuse in the glovebox panel marked for the power top btw. THANKS!

Well it happened again and the I had to lift the top by hand. Got it about 1/3 the way up slowly and then the motor started working when the switch is engaged. Any guesses out. I still need to check fluid level.

Do you just have to pull the motor out of the mounting bracket turn it up on its side and unscrew the silver cap to check the fluid? Please pardon my ignorance..

To remove the motor should I just pull it out of the gromets or is there a bracket that I am not seeing?

Today I had manually pull the top up by hand and latch down completely with the help of a friend. It was diffucult to do and fairly slow going. The switch does not engage the motor at all. I found the relay and removed it and reseated it. Nothing. Seems like the motor would at least try to engage as it has in the past.

Edited by rawdeal91vert

I do not know if 91s have a fill line or clear window to see in. There are 4 rubber plugs that hold it to the floor and lift up on it. Should come off pretty easy.

Automatic trans fluid is good to fill these with.

No. It is definately a loose wire at the motor. There is no fill line or window on a 91' pump motor to see fluid level. There are 2 screws on the top or silver part of the motor housing. To get to motor looks like you have to remove the hydralic lines from both sides. That looks like a real pain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...