Front Rattle on 95 vert

xennith

So I've heard this rattle before in other W's but I'm not sure what it is. My vert did it before and after the new shocks. It's a 95 with 101k miles. The noise happens when I hit a bump so I'm guessing its got something to do with the suspension, and I don't think it's related to braking. The old shocks were leaking so I'm thinking they may have been original, the new ones are form Autozone. I also replaced tie rod ends and then had the alignment done by Tire Discounters when I got new tires. They didn't mention any issues but they weren't necessarily looking for problems either.

My friend's '05 G6 is making a similar but not as loud noise.

Any ideas? I don't even know where to start with this one :mad:

Does it also make rattling or thumping noises sometimes when turning, even if the steering seems smooth?

My 94 GP does this crap, I have yet to pull out the strut on the passenger side (where noise is coming from) but I am gonna do that and see if something is jacked.

I think the best thing you can do until you find the noise is make sure all the other suspension components are good at least. Especially the ball joints and control arms and their pivot bolts and mountings.

• 5 months later...

Front Brake rattle? For the longest time i thought the rattle over bumps was coming from the front was ball joints.

I replaced front ball joints, struts, and calipers. I still have rattle going over bumps.

I had had a problem with the rubber bushings in the front calipers going bad and making a rattling noise

I compared both my 95 cutlass's. When i grab a hold of the front calipers that i replaced, I can get them to move slightly. The other car i haven't done anything to, won't budge at all. What can cause this? is there something that i should've replaced?

Rack and pinion mount bushings going out? Had my outer sway bar mounts come loose once that made a thumping sound, Im thinking it has something to do with the strut bumper or bellow, has to be, everything else seems tight and secure. Have same/similar issue. Kindof almost sounds like something vibrating against the inner wheel well area right?

Yeah, sounds like that. with only 46k miles. the bolt broke that held the out sway bar bushing. So i replaced the control arm. I thought the noise was coming from there. but still there.

If you turn your wheel enough so you can grab your brake caliper, how much movement do you have?