UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
GTP091

5 speed swap

31 minutes ago, GTP091 said:

Cleaned the plenum up last night. Certainly needs a new PCV valve, and related hoses. The brake booster hose feels good but was loose on the plenum side as the speed clamp couldn’t squeee it tighter I’d like to replace it as well if I can get one.  I’ll need to test the tps as well. 

2E90F4B6-914A-4879-8B7C-A58946D2FACF.jpeg

6D1BE544-0554-4A77-92DB-77D3547F211A.jpeg

Looks oh so pretty!  Nice job.

I was all prepared to match the intake to the plenum with my die grinder and smooth it out to 100 grit but after sticking my fingers in the two mated back together I realized the factory did a very good job lining these two parts up. I can barely feel a ridge at all. A quick shave of the gasket is all I think I need to do. The whole port and polish benefits thing is a hotly debated topic so not sure if I want to spend the many hours doing this again for no little gain or hurt performance as some suggest. Did it on my GTP but many a gear head say to leave it rough and just take off the casting marks which are hardly noticeable on these two pieces.

Edited by GTP091

Did you pull up the distribution cover in the valley? Wouldn't hurt to see what sort of grunge is under it & also remove the plug from the one end and clean the internal passage  out. There is a check ball in there that prevents oil from draining from the heads when the engine has been shut down. It should be kept clean to keep doing it's job.

8 hours ago, 55trucker said:

Did you pull up the distribution cover in the valley? Wouldn't hurt to see what sort of grunge is under it & also remove the plug from the one end and clean the internal passage  out. There is a check ball in there that prevents oil from draining from the heads when the engine has been shut down. It should be kept clean to keep doing it's job.

You bet, that’s round 2. I already have the gasket for it.

Well let’s continue to bastardize this thread that is so far only talk about a 5 speed swap. I’ll do a new thread called the actual 5 speed wasp when I get there. That’s not likely going to happen this winter as this winter it’s project rebuild the engine instead. So here’s the latest. I cleaned the EGR up nice like only to realize the gasket between the egr valves and the base is not easily obtained, or at least rockauto doesn’t list it.  there’s an a shit moment I shouldn’t have OCD’d the egr so much.  The gasket in question is the dirty one in the pic. 

Also would like new egr bolts.

BA6A9DE4-FB9B-4159-8E44-A78588E713A8.jpeg

Edited by GTP091

And the latest on the valley cleanup. 

D92C26C3-D875-40FB-9BDF-9AA110F813B8.jpegThe latest compression test has #4 no higher than 60 psi so something up there. 

Edited by GTP091

3 hours ago, GTP091 said:

Well let’s continue to bastardize this thread that is so far only talk about a 5 speed swap. I’ll do a new thread called the actual 5 speed wasp when I get there. That’s not likely going to happen this winter as this winter it’s project rebuild the engine instead. So here’s the latest. I cleaned the EGR up nice like only to realize the gasket between the egr valves and the base is not easily obtained, or at least rockauto doesn’t list it.  there’s an a shit moment I shouldn’t have OCD’d the egr so much.  The gasket in question is the dirty one in the pic. 

Also would like new egr bolts.

BA6A9DE4-FB9B-4159-8E44-A78588E713A8.jpeg

don't feel too bad......clean up the gasket, apply some muffler cement to either side of it when you install it back onto the engine, but do so when you're in a position to fire up the engine. This will cure the cement.

3 hours ago, GTP091 said:

And the latest on the valley cleanup. 

D92C26C3-D875-40FB-9BDF-9AA110F813B8.jpegThe latest compression test has #4 no higher than 60 psi so something up there. 

The ports are damned large, try shining a light up both sides & see if one of the valves is off its seat. with that cyl at TDC try pouring some thin machine oil in thru the port as well & note if the oil stays in the port collecting on the backside of the valve face.

Edited by 55trucker