5 speed swap

GTP091

Need to figure out parts plan for this engine build now that I’m back into it.  The haggerty guys seem to like Fel-Pro a lot. The other brand im wondering on is engine tech. They have a complete rebuild kit on rock auto that is interesting. Would like to be sure I get the better of the two. Anyone who’s done an engine rebuild have any preference? Also need some ideas on pistons/rings/journal bearings etc. Can’t order yet as I need to see what kind of machining is needed first just want an idea.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, carkhz316 said:

How is this project coming along? I've been binging anything 284-related to try and learn more as I head into the back stretch of my LS4 swap. 

Food for thought:

the 284 is rated for 250ft.lbs of torque, the LS4 is a 320 ft.lbs torque engine, I personally would choose the F40 trans to go behind the LS4. It's a certified 300 ft.lbs trans, the idea of exploding an already *hard-to-find-parts* piece doesn't really appeal to me.

1 hour ago, 55trucker said:

Food for thought:

the 284 is rated for 250ft.lbs of torque, the LS4 is a 320 ft.lbs torque engine, I personally would choose the F40 trans to go behind the LS4. It's a certified 300 ft.lbs trans, the idea of exploding an already *hard-to-find-parts* piece doesn't really appeal to me.

Many 3800 guys have put down 400whp up to 800whp through a getrag 284.  He shouldn't have any issues behind his cammed LS4.  

11 hours ago, 55trucker said:

Food for thought:

While the ratings are underwhelming, the 284 has been proven to handle a magnitude of power beyond what it was advertised and intended to. Believe me, the whole "unobtanium" aspect of this transmission is frustrating, but it doesn't matter since they break in stock applications too. Yes, throwing more power at it isn't going to help things, but I've accepted that this was a one-way street when I swapped transmissions originally. Additionally, I have two more (3 total) to work with, so I'll be alright for awhile.

Edited by carkhz316

On 11/12/2021 at 6:01 AM, carkhz316 said:

How is this project coming along? I've been binging anything 284-related to try and learn more as I head into the back stretch of my LS4 swap. 

I’ve got two 284s sitting on the bench now. One is needing a ‘rebuild’ lol or exploratory surgery to see how they come apart and never go back together again.  I haven’t quite got the engine rebuilt yet that is going to go together with the good 284 I have.  The rebuild should be finished up by spring. Need to source out a good cradle yet.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Finally sourced a set of new hydraulic lifters for the engine rebuild.  Engine tech and a Timing chain set.  

• Like 3