5 speed swap

GTP091

And there is still a ton of parts missing from that list

I'm more than capable of fabricating steel bits and brackets but the time to get the easy OEM stuff off the donor in Calgary is quickly dwindling away. The puller is 7 hrs from me so I can't tell him what to get if I don't know what it is.  If you can find that spread sheet please post it. If not, maybe you can rattle off the parts im missing from memory? I've only found two of your threads for the swaps you've done and they do not list all of the parts, just the big stuff.   A huge amount of threads on 60degreev6 are now dead so if that's where these other threads are then they are no longer available.

I have a bunch of small parts from parting of these cars out. If you were unable to remove everything yourself, you will find that some things will be left behind. A few pieces to consider, forward console bracket, console shifter plate/boot, orange shifter Cable firewall grommet/retainer, underwood wiring, transaxle vent tube/hose. Also the steering column, as I'm not sure the automatic column has the lockout button on the ignition lock cylinder. Also, order a pair of urethane booger bushings for your shifter cable ends. You only need two. They are a direct replacement for the failure prone rubber ones GM used.

I have a bunch of small parts from parting of these cars out. If you were unable to remove everything yourself, you will find that some things will be left behind. A few pieces to consider, forward console bracket, console shifter plate/boot, orange shifter Cable firewall grommet/retainer, underwood wiring, transaxle vent tube/hose. Also the steering column, as I'm not sure the automatic column has the lockout button on the ignition lock cylinder. Also, order a pair of urethane booger bushings for your shifter cable ends. You only need two. They are a direct replacement for the failure prone rubber ones GM used.

He got the grommets and firewall plate. My ignition cylinder needs to be replaced and I’m thinking I can just order a manual cylinder for the wiring part of it. The steering columns look to have same part #s. Where’s a good source for the booger bushings?

Also just ordered a new AMS clutch for $260cdn The exact same on rockauto was $410 + shipping. It’s nice to find a deal when you need one. Other auto part websites listed it for $600. Plus shipping

Shipping would probably be a killer for the 284 depending how small the box could be made.  It would likely have to go FedEx or Purolator ground.  If sent in a 20X20x30" and have the intermediate shaft taken off and taped on beside it.  In a 20X20X30" box it'd be $186USD by FedEx.   USPS wouldn't take it. 

I'd be very interested in getting the shifter and/or pedals + cables? if theyre from a gen 1 W.  Could probably do USPS on those if your willing to sell them.  Let me know what you can find.

Eh, a junkyard in Tennessee shipped me a 284 for like $50 via UPS. It was stuffed into a rubbermaid tote with about a dozen rolls worth of packing tape holding it together, but it made it in one piece. It works as its the current (and second) 284 in my Z34.

I have 6 284s but some of them have bad synchros and some I do not know the history on.I have one that definitely has good synchros in all 5 speeds and reverse, though I recall 3rd would make a slight grind on a high RPM shift. The case halves also have to be resealed. It's a pretty compact transaxle with the intermediate shaft removed, just heavy. I have three Lumina 5 speed shifters and three sets of mounts, wiring harness and computer, but I don't think I have both shift cables, likely only the select. I'll send you a message when I figure out exactly what I have.

Jeslus, got enough 284's? hahaha!. Where are you at? I might have to take some parts off your hands some day, lol.

I have one with a bad 3rd gear syncro. If I knew how to take this apart with a prayer on reassembling it I'd do that. I want to see about getting new blocker/syncro rings made

I, too, would like to take one apart. I have my "original" 284 sitting in the corner of the garage for the day I'm ambitious enough to split it and try to replace the noisy bearing(s) and weak 3 or 4th synchro.

Thanks for the suggestion however, the F23 from one of those will have a different bellhousing than the 60degree V6.  I've read up on ithe F23 as it's been done on stock fieros but it's only rated at 170 ft/lbs of torque.  The 282 and 284 are rated as far as I've read for 250 and 285.   I also don't think my ECU will like it at all.  I've seriously considered going to an F40 from an 05'-06' G6 as it rates for high output but has issues with finding axles going into a W (custom), ecu again, and the clutch bits for it are very costly.  Im quite set on a 282 or 284.

A former member on here, TurboJeff (I think that was his name) proved numerous times the 284 could handle 500hp and beyond.

A 282 or 284 will be easiest for sure.

But the 00-02 cavalier and sunfire with the 2.2ohv has the same 60degree bellhousing which is why I recommended it.

Also many Fierorog running 500hp through a f23. And one guy in the 2nd gen with a 500hp 3800turbo. Runs great!

The f23 would need a custom mount and pass side axle

The ecu doesn’t really care about the manual trans maybe for the speedo but that’ll be easy enough to figure out.

Regardless, good luck with you’re swap!

TurboJeff I think his name was, at least that's the guy I'm thinking of from here.

you have to disconnect the slave and pull up on the throwout fork to release it from the throw out bearing.

heading to bed now. i'll try and remember to get back to this tomorrow and write more

Wish I would have know that before. I struggled with mine until I ended up unbolting the pressure plate to split it.

I have a new AMS clutch on the way. Got it for a hell of a deal. Rockauto has four options for about $400 plus shipping. I got this one for $200 shipped so couldn’t pass it up. I’d rather a spec 2 but couldn’t find any options and I’m sure it’d be 3x what I paid .

Can anyone confirm the the year range for matching sub frames? Will a sedan be the same? Lots of four door regals and cutlasses in my local picknpull

I have a new AMS clutch on the way. Got it for a hell of a deal. Rockauto has four options for about $400 plus shipping. I got this one for $200 shipped so couldn’t pass it up. I’d rather a spec 2 but couldn’t find any options and I’m sure it’d be 3x what I paid .

Can anyone confirm the the year range for matching sub frames? Will a sedan be the same? Lots of four door regals and cutlasses in my local picknpull

477-3074B

B ----------

CUTLASS 91 Front; 6-207 (3.4L)

CUTLASS 92-96 Front

CUTLASS 97 Front; Supreme

GRAND PRIX 91 Front; 6-207 (3.4L)

GRAND PRIX 92-96 Front

LUMINA CAR 91 Front; 6-207 (3.4L)

LUMINA CAR 92-97 Front

LUMINA CAR 98-99 Front; w/o taxi 9C6

LUMINA CAR 00-01 Front

MONTE CARLO 95-99 Front

REGAL 91 Front; 6-191 (3.1L), from VIN 800001

REGAL 92-96 Front; 6-191 (3.1L)

Does anybody have a parts diagram or list for the 284? I’m looking to replace the input and output seals. Rockauto lists the output seals as for the Getrag 284 but only as 5 speed manual for the input seal but gives oem part #s. Just want to make sure I order for the 284 as they also list the Isuzu trans for some reason.

Output shaft seals Timkin 2003N

Input shaft seal - Not happening.

So the input shaft seal, sleeve , and bearing listed by rockauto must not be for the 284.  I wonder why they have the Isuzu and some other '5speed' trans (282?) listed as an option for a 91 GP with the 3.4.  You'd think they'd have had issues with returns and fixed it up by now .  

The input shaft seal on the 284 im getting may not even need replacing I just figured while it was out I might as well replace.  I've also read on here that there's an oring that gets hard and most 284 leaks are related to that and not the seal itself.   It looks like rockauto lists sleeves, bearings, and the seal for the output shafts.  Frustrating that the same for the  input shaft are non existing.

So the input shaft seal, sleeve , and bearing listed by rockauto must not be for the 284.  I wonder why they have the Isuzu and some other '5speed' trans (282?) listed as an option for a 91 GP with the 3.4.  You'd think they'd have had issues with returns and fixed it up by now .  

The input shaft seal on the 284 im getting may not even need replacing I just figured while it was out I might as well replace.  I've also read on here that there's an oring that gets hard and most 284 leaks are related to that and not the seal itself.   It looks like rockauto lists sleeves, bearings, and the seal for the output shafts.  Frustrating that the same for the  input shaft are non existing.

Update on this.  Im now the proud (or cursed) owner of a untested Getrag 284 5 speed swap with 154k.  The donor car was a 91 gtp (RIP little buddy) and I think I have all the bits i'll need except the slave cylinder.  The puller had an extra box of 'parts I wasn't sure I you needed so I took them anyway' that I wasn't expecting.  I'd post a picture but it says it too big. lol...

• Like 2

Update on this.  Im now the proud (or cursed) owner of a untested Getrag 284 5 speed swap with 154k.  The donor car was a 91 gtp (RIP little buddy) and I think I have all the bits i'll need except the slave cylinder.  The puller had an extra box of 'parts I wasn't sure I you needed so I took them anyway' that I wasn't expecting.  I'd post a picture but it says it too big. lol...

That's great news!  I'm glad it worked out, at least that rare GTP will live on somewhat thru your car.  It's sad to see that car meet it's end but I'm very happy some rare parts will help power your car now.

It sounds like the infamous oil leak and the clutch was also fubar so possibly another reason the car was junked. If the PO had quotes to fix these by a shop its likely more than the cars apparent value. All the bits from the pull other than the clutch seem to be in great condition.

I was hoping my original gm service manual had more info and diagrams on the trans mounts and everything else. Will be a puzzle to put it together without good diagrams. An entire page dedicated to identifying the model, thanks gm really useful.

I’ll have to hunt for exploded diagrams on the interwebs

The 1992 service manual is far better than the 91 from what I recall, as far as 284 stuff goes. The parts books also have some decent drawings of the mounts, but they're just simple illustrations. I can text or email you any detail you shots you need of how stuff goes together. I have a few 284 cars sitting here. Hopefully it will be a pretty easy install. Was the transaxle mount in good condition? They break a lot.

The 1992 service manual is far better than the 91 from what I recall, as far as 284 stuff goes. The parts books also have some decent drawings of the mounts, but they're just simple illustrations. I can text or email you any detail you shots you need of how stuff goes together. I have a few 284 cars sitting here. Hopefully it will be a pretty easy install. Was the transaxle mount in good condition? They break a lot.

The mounts look to be completely fine the rubber is in good shape to. No dry rot or cracks. I have two mounts not sure how it all lines up yet. I also have 3 small angular mounts that are very thick and take high strength bolts no idea on those yet. I’ll have to post pictures as I go along and we can all have a what’s this part and where does it go contest. I’m not concerned about it just wish I could have done the pull. Still for what I paid i got a hell of a lot.

The mounts look to be completely fine the rubber is in good shape to. No dry rot or cracks. I have two mounts not sure how it all lines up yet. I also have 3 small angular mounts that are very thick and take high strength bolts no idea on those yet. I’ll have to post pictures as I go along and we can all have a what’s this part and where does it go contest. I’m not concerned about it just wish I could have done the pull. Still for what I paid i got a hell of a lot.

I hope they got the rear mounting points from the engine. They are different automatic to manual. 

Post up some pictures. Inspect the throwout fork. its a weird design from what is normally used, if whoever removed it wasn't sure what they were doing it could have been damaged.

Here's a picture of the 284 and the spent clutch and a bitmap of what the donor looked like after it was gutted.  I'll put up some others once I get the parts cleaned and in better light so we can have a game of name that part.  The little brackets have part numbers on them so that should help a bit.

post-3277-0-76372300-1522854273_thumb.jpg

post-3277-0-83772900-1522854466_thumb.jpg

IMG_0219.BMP