5 speed swap

GTP091

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a donor at my local picknpull for a 284 swap. I came across only one getrag 284 and it wasnt useable as someone took the car on a joyride and pretty much pluncked 2-3 holes in the case and twisted the subframe so needed a torch which isn't allowed in the yard. that was over 2 years ago and there hasn't been another since; my last 2 trips there weren't even any LQ1s there. Im thinking now the only way to get a 5 speed in my GTP is to use a 282?? biggest question is will a 282 actually mate to the LQ1? i've read way back that it will but needs way more work to finish. Still doesn't help me with GP clutch pedals center console, clutch cylinders etc... If it does bolt up any word on what's needed to refit the wiring?

anybody have a 284 sitting around?? or just the pedal and plate? seems the clutch cylinders are still available from some parts stores.

Any input here would help. My ultimate goal is 8 PSI turbo so i need to consider if a 282 can take 350 hp as well.

282 and 284 Both have the same bell houseing the 282 just isnt suppose to hold the power a 284 does, But i think you would be fine! aslong as its a 282 out of like a 88-93 Grand prix i dont see a problem.

yes, a 282 will bolt up and work just fine, however, like Anthony said, it's just not nearly as strong, and with the torque the LQ1 makes you may be doing another swap sooner than later. Also, check the FS section, there have been some 284 kits for sale lately

Venom has a complete setup minus the clutch, flywheel bolts. PM him aboot it. It comes with new hydraulics and axles.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, my GTP has the LQ1 / 282 combo, aside from some gearing differences (IMO the 284 is geared better for the LQ1) it works just fine and will take anything any LQ1 could possibly dish out, especially with a decent stage 2 or stage 3 clutch.

Just look at the abuse the Cavalier and Fiero guys put their 282's through, with northstar swaps, LS4 swaps, L67 swaps, turbo 3500's / 3400's etc

Good to know thanks for the info. If I found a 5 speed cavalier it would be a 282 in all v6s then? still wouldn't solve the clutch pedal issues for me unless i fabricated. i'll have to check those kits out to.

Edited by GTP091

I've got a 90 TGP with the 282 and it holds up great. Stock clutch won't be enough tho, so you definitely need an upgrade. Had to throw a stocker in when my Spec chucked a spring. Stock clutch starts slipping just after boost kicks in.

If you out a 282 behind a 3.4 my only piece of advice is to ensure you fab a intermediate shaft bracket and motor mount bracket before you install the engine/trans into car. Also ensure you bring subframe with you to get proper alignment on the motor mount part. Any questions let me know! But that was the biggest pain in the ass!!!

I suppose to do this properly I really need to find a wbody with a 5 speed 282 or hopefullly a 284. 5 speed isn't any good without all the goodies that go with it like shifter clutch pedal etc. Will these pieces from a Z34 be the same as they are in a GP? i've never seen a 5 speed regal in the JY . Is it safe to assume a 282 in a gen 1 wbody would be found with a 3.1 or a 3100??

yes, any 5 spd 88-93 Cutlass, 88-93 GP, or 91-93 Z34 will work well as donor cars.

282 was behind the 2.8 / 3.1 MPFI

284 was behind the 3.4 DOHC

• 5 years later...

So Im going to resurrect my old thread, it's ok cause it's mine; we'll just pretend it was sleeping. Also provide you all with some backstory/context.

Fast forward 6,7,8 years and Im still on the hunt for a 5 speed swap for my 91 GTP.  Have posted in the wanted forum recently, sent PM's.  Dropped all kinds of wanted all over row 52,  emailed car-part.com, called wreckers.  I have yet to find a w 5speed at my local picknpull and anywhere else I could throw some money at.  The last time i saw a 284 in the picknpull  was 2010 so a very rare beast it is especially with a donor car attached to it.  And have not come across a 5speed w body with a 282 either.  Car-part.com has a few 282's but nothing for the rest of the swap i'd need from a W.  Im now considering going after the bits and pieces from a cavalier, sunbird, Beretta etc.

I found a miled out 91 sunbird with a 3.1 and a 89 beretta with a 2.8 today and they both seem to have very similar setups for shifter, clutch pedal, cable routing etc. My brother had  berettas and best bud years ago had a 91 Z24 with a 3.1.   I'm probably faced with the prospect of fabing and making it work.  Does anyone on here know what kinds of issues i'll have going this route?   If I could pull all parts from the beretta i can easily make the slave master work, or just buy new parts there.

I imagine my biggest issue is the trans mounts, clutch pedal mounting differences, wiring?, and possibly the 282 case is way different and just wont have the holes in the right spots to work in a w?  Intermediate shaft that bolts to the engine may or may not be in same spot as 3.4?

id appreciate any info on this.

I have a tranny guy with a bunch of stuff laying around (transmission, not transsexual). I'll pop in and see if he has any 282 or 284 that are rebuildable and maybe I'll get lucky (lucky and find something, not lucky and fuck him - that wouldn't be lucky at all).

• Like 2

I have a tranny guy with a bunch of stuff laying around (transmission, not transsexual). I'll pop in and see if he has any 282 or 284 that are rebuildable and maybe I'll get lucky (lucky and find something, not lucky and fuck him - that wouldn't be lucky at all).

Wow Imp!  Oh geez!

Wow Imp!  Oh geez!

What? He's a Burly 6' 4" Russian who swears enough to make a sailor blush. I like him but no thanks...

Edited by Imp558

I'd be willing to sell my left nut for a rebuilt 284. finding the other bits out of a W though actually seems to be the harder challenge.  

If you're going to go through the effort of making mounts for a non w-body 282, I would instead search for a 00-02 Cavalier/Sunfire with a 2.2 OHV Getrag F23

You'll need to have custom mount made, along with 1 long axle instead of an intermediate shaft.

It should work, it's been done in a 2nd gen w-body.  Will hold any power you ever think of making!

• Like 1

I probably have enough parts to make up a nearly complete 284 swap, including a 284. Not sure on the pedals though and I don't have any GP shifters.

I probably have enough parts to make up a nearly complete 284 swap, including a 284. Not sure on the pedals though and I don't have any GP shifters.

Shipping would probably be a killer for the 284 depending how small the box could be made.  It would likely have to go FedEx or Purolator ground.  If sent in a 20X20x30" and have the intermediate shaft taken off and taped on beside it.  In a 20X20X30" box it'd be $186USD by FedEx.   USPS wouldn't take it. 

I'd be very interested in getting the shifter and/or pedals + cables? if theyre from a gen 1 W.  Could probably do USPS on those if your willing to sell them.  Let me know what you can find.

I have 6 284s but some of them have bad synchros and some I do not know the history on.I have one that definitely has good synchros in all 5 speeds and reverse, though I recall 3rd would make a slight grind on a high RPM shift. The case halves also have to be resealed. It's a pretty compact transaxle with the intermediate shaft removed, just heavy. I have three Lumina 5 speed shifters and three sets of mounts, wiring harness and computer, but I don't think I have both shift cables, likely only the select. I'll send you a message when I figure out exactly what I have.

I have one with a bad 3rd gear syncro. If I knew how to take this apart with a prayer on reassembling it I'd do that. I want to see about getting new blocker/syncro rings made

If you're going to go through the effort of making mounts for a non w-body 282, I would instead search for a 00-02 Cavalier/Sunfire with a 2.2 OHV Getrag F23

You'll need to have custom mount made, along with 1 long axle instead of an intermediate shaft.

It should work, it's been done in a 2nd gen w-body.  Will hold any power you ever think of making!

Thanks for the suggestion however, the F23 from one of those will have a different bellhousing than the 60degree V6.  I've read up on ithe F23 as it's been done on stock fieros but it's only rated at 170 ft/lbs of torque.  The 282 and 284 are rated as far as I've read for 250 and 285.   I also don't think my ECU will like it at all.  I've seriously considered going to an F40 from an 05'-06' G6 as it rates for high output but has issues with finding axles going into a W (custom), ecu again, and the clutch bits for it are very costly.  Im quite set on a 282 or 284.