Convertible Top Pump Resevoir

rawdeal91vert

Sorry for my ignorance, but I cannot figure out where the resevoir is for the hydralic fluid. I have looked all over the trunk in my 1991 Cutlass and have not figured it out. The top needs help to get started and then goes up slowly but ok. It rises evenly on both sides. I hope this isn't a repeated thread. If so please point me in the right direction.

Look in your trunk almost to your back seat. Lift up the convertible top well that your top folds down into. You will see a pump that the fluid goes into.

...Another repeated question but while I'm here...What kind of fluid? Have never looked at my pump...how do you know if it needs any or if it's full? I've always thought that unless it's leaking, you don't have to worry about fluid level...

...Another repeated question but while I'm here...What kind of fluid? Have never looked at my pump...how do you know if it needs any or if it's full? I've always thought that unless it's leaking, you don't have to worry about fluid level...

Dexron automatic transmission fluid. There should be a fill line on the side of the pump. I think the pump is supposed to be filled when the top is down, but you might want to have someone confirm that.

On '91's, the pump is just right of center.

Yes.. Theres a plug on the end/high right side. It pops out easy. Theyre are 4 rubber plugs holding the pump to the trunk floor . Pop them free and I use a pump/squirt oil can to fill till full. Its full to me when holding it at an angle and it starts coming out. Plug and reseat pump to trunk floor. I know the fluid had to go somewhere but after 4 years Ive only done it once. Previous/original owner said I would have to eventually.

No fill guage on mine or clear window!

Edited by bender01

Yes.. Theres a plug on the end/high right side. It pops out easy. Theyre are 4 rubber plugs holding the pump to the trunk floor . Pop them free and I use a pump/squirt oil can to fill till full. Its full to me when holding it at an angle and it starts coming out. Plug and reseat pump to trunk floor. I know the fluid had to go somewhere but after 4 years Ive only done it once. Previous/original owner said I would have to eventually.

No fill guage on mine or clear window!

Just noticed that there is no fill gauge on my '91 either. There is on my '93.

• 8 months later...

You should be fine, Dex 6 is backwards compatible for any previous fluid used by GM.

I know it was asked above but i did not see an answer. Are you supposed to fill the pump with the top down or up? I did it while it was up and it still doesn't raise correctly.