Flowmaster 40 series on 94 Cutlass Supreme 3.4L?

67eleanorgt500

MIne is more muffled sounded, a bit deeper. This sounds like slightly louder stock to me /\

It's a thrush glasspack. I really wish I had a vid of a friend's 4.0. He has one of those universal mufflers but no tail pipe (4.0 Jeeps don't have the muffler tucked by the cargo area since that's where the gas tank is, so they have a long tail pipe). It sounds stock at 3500, but cruising around it sounds muscular. I would want to have something like that, but with a bit more sound at 3500.

This is the only downfall of a V6. The line between nice and deep and disgusting like a fart is really thin.

What Magnaflow do you have, and what supporting mods did you do to it?

I listed everything. Just a high flow downpipe/cat, mufflers, and tips

I listed everything. Just a high flow downpipe/cat, mufflers, and tips

Oh yeah, I missed it.

I didn't see a model for the Magnaflow, just the tips. Or do Magnaflows not come with em? Like Super 44s or 40's and etc.

This has been floating around awhile. This was done on a tricked out fox body Stang with a 309CID. The flowmaster listed is believed to be delta flow 50 and the Borla pro xs is the perforated core style not the turbo style.

Food for thought.nyqytata.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I found a video of how I want my 3.4 to sound like. The only thing is that this is a 97 Cutlass with a 3100.

[video=youtube;y4kwAJibsrs]

He's running no cat, Flowmaster 40's deltaflows (not sure if thats even a thing) and Camaro tips? Not sure what year, but that's what he says.

This has been floating around awhile. This was done on a tricked out fox body Stang with a 309CID. The flowmaster listed is believed to be delta flow 50 and the Borla pro xs is the perforated core style not the turbo style.

Food for thought.nyqytata.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i prefer borlas mysef, theyre what i run and i friggin love them :0

So I found a video of how I want my 3.4 to sound like. The only thing is that this is a 97 Cutlass with a 3100.

He's running no cat, Flowmaster 40's deltaflows (not sure if thats even a thing) and Camaro tips? Not sure what year, but that's what he says.

I remember watching that video years ago. I love that sound. A 3.4 wont sound that good even with the same set up. 3.1/3100 engines are very good soundong with the right exhaust.

depending on the exact sound you like, it is really tough to find a domestic V6 that sounds more appealing than a GM OHV 60V6 of any generation.

depending on the exact sound you like, it is really tough to find a domestic V6 that sounds more appealing than a GM OHV 60V6 of any generation.

/\ This

If sound is all youre after, then yes

I don't say that just for sound, it just seems like an easier engine to deal with. I'm probably not going to do jackshit to the exhaust, but I was wondering if I can make it sound muscular. I guess that's a no go with a 3.4 but it would have been nice.

I'm not going to lie though, I like my 3.4 when it comes to launching the car. I don't think it's a bad engine at all, just wish the car had about 5 more inches of length in the hood, and they had put the alt where the ps pump is.

Surely to god there is another exhaust exit on the other side of that car, I cringe at the thought of there not one being there. Might not sleep tonight.

I don't say that just for sound, it just seems like an easier engine to deal with. I'm probably not going to do jackshit to the exhaust, but I was wondering if I can make it sound muscular. I guess that's a no go with a 3.4 but it would have been nice.

I'm not going to lie though, I like my 3.4 when it comes to launching the car. I don't think it's a bad engine at all, just wish the car had about 5 more inches of length in the hood, and they had put the alt where the ps pump is.

Throw a pair of glass packs on there and have the tips you like, I couldn`t imagine a 3.4 not sounding mean. Ive heard a Z34 once with just new replacement OEM exhaust and it didn't sound anything close to what imports sound like.

I did run my car with the catalytic converter and all the exhaust behind it off while I went to Autozone for a new one. IT WAS AWESOME!:lol:

Throw a pair of glass packs on there and have the tips you like, I couldn`t imagine a 3.4 not sounding mean. Ive heard a Z34 once with just new replacement OEM exhaust and it didn't sound anything close to what imports sound like.

I did run my car with the catalytic converter and all the exhaust behind it off while I went to Autozone for a new one. IT WAS AWESOME!:lol:

I'm going to have to wing it. I'm scared of how my car would sound like with no muffler. The 3800 in my Camaro sounded like a Honda on steroids with just the cat and no muffler. I would jokingly rev at the ricers just for shits and giggles.

maybe it's because i was listening to it on my laptop speakers, but that didn't bother me?

also, i would run glasspacks at the least.

Please run muffler with a 3.4 DOHC. It's way too raspy with out them.

It doesn't sound too bad. The general sound is pretty good actually, but it does seem it needs at least a couple decibels muffled. More so when accelerating. I wonder if I can get glasspacks to muffle the higher end sounds while enhancing the lower end of the sound spectrum.

I have found over the years(and cars), that Flowmaster is more sound effects than anything else. I tested the Super 10s on my '93 Z34 first...bad idea. But, it caused me to dig into the web for better answers: no matter which muffler you go with, make sure you replace the resonator with the biggest Thrush glass pack you can get your hands on(unless you're racing it, then straight pipes). That will usually be the 31" bodied 24205. If you really want to scare people, go look for the 40" shell 24213 in online muscle car shops. Magnaflow is a straight-through, but uses steel wool wrapped around the pipes then fiberglass, there's been a few people remarking that it corrodes(and costs more). That being said, I've used the Delta 50s as well(not an efficient flow(<375 CFMs)) and will now only use Dynomax. Walker/Tenneco owns it and Thrush and was the contractor that came up with the original "turbo" muffler for the '62-'64 Chevrolet Corsair Monza. I'd recommend 17733 Super Turbos(14" body / 375 CFMs) for a quieter deep growl, or go all out and buy 17283 Ultra Flo Stainless Steels(14" shell / >800 CFMs). The wildest would be to adapt a single Ultra SS 17519(3" inlet /14" body / 736 CFMs) or, if you're crazy, an Ultra Flo Wielded(14" body / 1900 CFMs) in place of the y-pipe...I think that can be done. You should check out Amazon or Autoplicity for everything, including whatever type of tip you're looking for. Good luck and try to post everything to Driiive.com to give other people ideas. Later, Brad

Btw, if you don't have a cone filter yet, the easiest is to use Spectre. The filters are just as good as K&N. Strap it to your existing intake hose, or for more efficiency, use either the plastic pieces @ Autozone, etc. or Spectre site for the aluminum bits. Things I wish I knew about when I first had the Z34...

Edited by DragonHEF01

Photobucket's under maintenance right now, but that should fix itself later...

How "import ish" do the Magnaflows sound like in real life? They're too reminiscent of a 4 banger in the vids.

I personally want to do exhaust as well, but I want a rumble, not something that sounds like a wet fart.

I was thinking something along this but a bit more deep. I know the Jeep 4.0 is known for its deep tones, and I was hoping to get something similar. IDK if the fact that the 4.0 is an inline might have a lot to do with its deep tone.

[video=youtube;wJC-iWjrOfM]

So is this your cutlass along with the video? ......................................................

It's a thrush glasspack. I really wish I had a vid of a friend's 4.0. He has one of those universal mufflers but no tail pipe (4.0 Jeeps don't have the muffler tucked by the cargo area since that's where the gas tank is, so they have a long tail pipe). It sounds stock at 3500, but cruising around it sounds muscular. I would want to have something like that, but with a bit more sound at 3500.

This is the only downfall of a V6. The line between nice and deep and disgusting like a fart is really thin.

I don't have Magnaflows on my car yet. I just got a brand new direct fit cat, looing into getting a new resonator along with aftermarket mufflers and tips. Looking at Magnaflow of Flowmasters.

If I may make a few suggestions (this might sound like a broken record) on transeversely mounted V6's- they never sound quite right like let's say a Nissan 350z (

).

The problem is not in the mufflers, cats or resonators. The problem comes from the front 3 cylinders having longer tubing than the rear 3 cylinders (unequal length header). No matter what you do after the headers you always end up with the same annoying V6 raspy gurgle. How do you fix that?

Make a block off plate for the rear header (where the downpipe comes out) and have the crossover pipe reworked so the exhaust exits at the center of the engine, making the front and rear cylinders to have equal length pipe before they merge into one pipe (will look like a turbo crossover pipe minus the turbo). Then you need to make a downpipe that connects back to you stock exhaust and the car will sound amazing, even with the rest of the exhaust being stock. Only then you can start experimenting with mufflers and tune the loudness of it. Currently my turbo L67 has perfectly even length secondaries and all I have is a single glasspack on a totally straight pipe. The sound is deep, nicely reverberating into resonance between 2200-2800RPM. I will post a sound clip soon so you can see what I'm talking about.

So from a sound point of view it's relatively cheap to mod the header and have a very nicely sounding car, no matter if it's a 3100, DOHC, 3800 or anything in between. Equal length secondaries holds the key.

So is this your cutlass along with the video? ......................................................

Nope, not my video, just something I found online. My Cutlass is a 94 Vert with a WAI (cone filter) and a stock exhaust. I would recommend doing a real CAI for the sound and with an exhaust, it would sound a lot better.

I tried the Flowmaster 40 on my 1993 vert (3.4) and it was so loud no one wanted to drive in the car, including me. Added a Cherry bomb glasspack with "almost stock" exhaust (off of a mustang). It sounds good now. Just remember it is a 6 cylinder and wont sound like an 8!